HELP! Stalls after stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 6 cyl. 126,000 miles

On a cold night, engine up to operating temps, came to a stop sign and the jeep stalls out on my wife (I am not present). She said the engine temp light came on and she shut off the jeep and recycled the key and it turned on. Temps were normal not high and no other lights came on and the light was not on either.

A few days later I took the jeep out and upon coming to a stop the RPMs dropped to 500 or less as the speed dropped from 10mph-0mph and almost stalled out. I replicated the problem one other time, was idling while in line for a car wash and was unable to replicate the problem there after.

Added fuel injector cleaner and will be changing the air filter and spark plugs.

Does anyone have any other information or similar problems on this issue?

My, and my friend's guess, is the beginning of the failing of the Idle Air Control Valve.

If you have any knowledge on this or have had similar problems and found the reason please let me know. Thank you all for your time.

-J

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on you and your friend. Another possibility would be fuel pump...but if you added fuel injector cleaner, then I would go with the former.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar problem a couple of years ago and it was the battery. It would run fine for a few miles, then after that, it would stall every time I'd stop.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plugs bad, replaced. Air filter pretty clean, replaced. Idle air control valve quite corroded, replaced. Throttle body cleaned. Did not stall at stop but RPM's dropped below 500 and was growling as if it was going to stall. Any more thoughts?

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will do a more thorough test on it tomorrow but while on a scanner voltage was good from alt, no problems starting or any other battery-type related problems, terminals very clean. It just seems odd to me that a batt problem would be so inconsistent and have no other issues... I will definitely look into it! Thank you!

crappule

Reaction score
i had similar problem when i am at a stop the truck stall it was my batterie ground maybe not ur problem but check it

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaned IAC port, cleaned battery terminals and cabling, checked for grounds, need to replace a vacuum hose or two but not too terribly bad... Runs better but same problem as before. Any other thoughts? Fuel filter? Anyone gave diagrams on how to change one? Not sure that's it though ...

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I did was replaced my battery and the problem went away. Even though when checked it was still good, it didn't put out enough power to keep the computer working properly.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to a few people on LOST and they told me to try getting a new battery. If you know someone with a new battery or you have another vehicle with one, swap them out and try it for an hour.

SteveKJR

Reaction score
The battery is the problem. Had the same problem with mine. I left a "radar detector" on for 4 nights. Went to start the car and it wouldn't start. Used another battery to jump start and it ran but wanted to stop.

Took a short trip to charge the battery - it was ok till the next day when my wife called saying I needed to get my A** home asap for she needed to be somewhere immediately.

Bought a new battery - problem solved.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will look into getting one. In the meantime, my battery shows no signs of failing. Alternator is strong as well, just tested it. She starts right up and doesn't seem to have any issues otherwise. I did read something recently about people having tail lights short out partially and kill/weaken batteries but it has never died on me yet. Any thoughts?

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did test the battery as well the other day after cleaning the terminals and tested full. Just adding it in since I passed over it before.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New vacuum hose. Seafoam on through vacuum hose into cylinders to clean, ran on highway. Seems to be running well now, can't replicate the problem. Will keep posted. Thank you all for the help thus far!

Up Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently having the same problem. Replaced the IAC and that didn't take care of the issue. Mine is an 02 model.

Also have been told it possibly could be the torque converter solenode, if it is bad it will not send the signal to release the lock-up torque converter. Vehicle will stall the instant it comes to a stop. At first mine was stalling once a week, now it is stalling a couple times a day. Almost feels like in a stick shift when letting out the clutch with foot on the brake pedal. I'm going to get it checked out next week by the professionals.

Looking forward to hearing how your's works out. Good luck and let us all know.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far so good. ****** does make loud clunk from park to drive though. Let me know how yours turns out. So far no problems with mine. Running strong. Best of luck.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold morning didn't warm up enough and it ended up stalling on the wife this morning. Back to the drawing board... Anyone have any other thoughts or ideas.