HELP! Stalls after stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem with the torque converter is that you need to reach speeds usually over 45 on order for it to kick on... I am replicating this with going speeds under 40 mph do the overdrive does not kick in. That was the big problem, right? Overdrive bit disengaging quick enough? I read to check transmission fluid and do a few other checks with the transmission that I will try like individually putting it in each gear from a stopped position. Also, I am going to try to put it into neutral before coming to a stop, disengage the trans and see if it stalls then I can move on if not or start finding a place for a cheap trans repair

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep me posted if you will. I would appreciate it. Headin to the shop is the next step...

Up Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service manager has driven my o2 Liberty several times and can't get it to stall...go figure! He will try again tomorrow.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't replicate the stall either. The vacuum hoses coming from the airbox to engine. They are on either side. They were bad and one disconnected. No stalls but rpms dropped a bit but nothing below 500 rpm. Think it runs better. Gonna keep replacing vacuum hoses and disconnect battery to reset computer then take for a ride. Will keep thread updated.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unhooked battery for 30 min to reset computer and then took it out for a drive and tested it a few different ways. Still growls sometimes after stopping but won't go below 500 rpms, not yet anyways. Replaced serpentine belt, should not be help for problem but recording all I do for thoroughness purposes.

Up Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well mine is still stalling. The service manager cant seem to get it to stall. Maybe I should ride along.

He gave me a can of Wynn's fuel treatment which I added to my fill up today. I'm not expecting to much, but we shall see!

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... Lucas didn't help me so i'm doubtful on that. Mine still stalls as well. I'm not sure where to turn to next. May end up bringing to Midas or a dealer...
Just can't get the thing to stop stalling nor can I replicate it regularly. I can, however, get the RPMs to drop and growl at me more often. Keep me updated I'll do the same. Thank you.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of the old tempo I had for the girls that did this.
I was at the Ford delership at that time and we checked it out many times and everything always cheked out good? Wtf so I had it in the bay again after work and the trans man (nick name) said put an iac in it. So I took one from stock and bingo it worked but yet the old one still tested out good what are the odds of that. Also the old wrangler would do this at times and I ended up putting in a crank sensor in it it had mud on it and the fly wheel (ooops). I can hear you Tjkj on the mud isues but you know how it is what can I say. Keep at it you just have to catch it at the right time to see what it is. In the mean time I know it ***** and drives you crazy.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still having issues. Been driving and breaking a bit easier on it. Seems to help some. Can't be sure yet. Any news out there?

Scorask

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still having issues. Been driving and breaking a bit easier on it. Seems to help some. Can't be sure yet. Any news out there?

I have a 2002 Limited and I've had it stall on me a few times recently. I added fuel injector cleaner on the last fill up and it still happened recently. I noticed that it seems to consistently happen on the first hard stop after starting up, cold or not. I just went with top tier gas at 93 for the first time. I hoping to see a difference in mpg and the way it feels, I hope anyway, lol.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check engine light. Went into limp mode. Automatic transmission fluid sensor. Wouldn't let me clear it. Removed negative battery cable for 5 minutes to reset it and ran normal again. Still having the issue with almost stalling after stopping.

Let me know how the higher octane worked. I'll keep my work, findings, and progress posted. Thank you.

Last edited:

Scorask

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check engine light. Went into limp mode. Automatic transmission fluid sensor. Wouldn't let me clear it. Removed negative battery cable for 5 minutes to reset it and ran normal again. Still having the issue with almost stalling after stopping.

Let me know how the higher octane worked. I'll keep my work, findings, and progress posted. Thank you.

I'm half way through this tank of 93 Octane and it hasn't stalled once yet. Its not driving too differently and my MPG avg only went up about a 1/2 a mile.

Up Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scorask,

"I have a 2002 Limited and I've had it stall on me a few times recently. I added fuel injector cleaner on the last fill up and it still happened recently. I noticed that it seems to consistently happen on the first hard stop after starting up, cold or not. I just went with top tier gas at 93 for the first time."

This is exactly what my 2002 is doing. So far have replaced the IAC and that did not help. Put a can of Wynns Fuel injector cleaner in the last full tank of gas and it seems to be helping somewhat. Our shop(former Jeep dealership) mgr suggest our fuel injector treatment, which I may do soon depending on if the wynn's in the fuel tank makes an improvement.

I'll continue to post developments as they occur.

Last edited:

Scorask

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has it studdered at all or it's been 100% normal?

Not much stuttering at all, and it has been fairly cold. Even on the first, or any hard stop. I may stick with the top tier 93 if it stays this way, its worth the extra $8 IMO.

Up Liberty, what's a IAC? And I'm not sure if you know but I have my overdrive on most of the time? Would or could that effect gas mileage?

Scorask

Full Access Member
Reaction score
btw I was told only to use fuel injector cleaner once every 3000 miles. Not sure how true that is?

Scorask

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning I was late for work and had to fly out of the house without allowing the Libby to warm up as much as usual. I made a few hard stops at red lights and such, with no issues or stalls whatsoever. Just thought I would mention it.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... Aamco said they would look at it and drive it around for free so I am thInking I may bring it in Friday and see what they can find. I'll keep you posted and if any news comes up your end please let me know. The technician said it sounded like I had two individual problems though so the ****** code may not be an effective lead

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheap gas and/or reversion builds up a lot of sludge in the induction system. If you put any more money in it, do the fuel injector cleaning 1st. And if you buy the bottle stuff again, get Chevron's Techron.

Don't forget that 93 octane is harder to burn, not easier.