HELP -- Spinning Upper Ball Joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran into an issue while doing my lift install -- the upper ball join just keeps spinning while trying to put the nut back on. Anyone know how to tighten the joint ??

Thanks

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a common problem, thankfully DC was prepared and made the balljoints with this in mind. Put a small socket, wrench or even vice grips on the spinning end and continue away.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Yea, I ran into this problem before too.

Basically I used a big "c" clamp to put press on it so it didn't spin. You can also use a pry bar.

Bennett

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ughhh, im at the same spot as of now. Too hot to keep going today. Anxious to finish, I'm just finishing a clevis/top plate lift.

Would a little antiseize on the threads help the nut go through easier?

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The nut is probably a self locking nut, if that is the case then no, antiseize wont help. Using a C clamp is a good idea. When I run into this problem while rebuilding Chevelle's what I do is I put a big rubber block on top of the control arm and use a floor jack under the lower control arm and lift the whole assembly.....the inner fender well will eventually contact the rubber block preventing the upper control arm from moving. Once it stops moving, I lift the assembly a little more pushing the spindal onto the ball joint shaft. Eventually there will be enough pressure on the joint to keep ir from spinning. I don't know if this will help you out, it's just an idea. Keep in mind that this idea works for me because the Chevelle inner fender wells are made of metal and secured in place with bolts......no plastic fender wells or plastic fasteners.

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, ill go the c clamp route. I think I was just frustrated getting the lower part of the clevis back on the control arm, lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Very easy and simple
Put a crowbar back in the spring/ pry down on the UCA
99% of the time its all it takes and its fast

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually had time to put everything back together and, for the most part, everything went together easily. The last snag, of course, was the driver side upper ball joint. The nut will not turn without the upper ball joint. I tried to back it out and it won't.

I hope it's not stripped or cross threaded. I might have to slowly cut the nut off, get a new one, and carefully rethread the ball joint. What a mess...it's literally the last nut to tighten before it's done!

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try something like that, but im worried about how hard it is to turn the nut. I think it's starting to cross thread. I used a crowbar between the springs and had someone put their weight on it while I turned the nut. Shouldn't take more than that, so I'm gonna play it safe and cut the nut and then clean up the threads. I already got a new nut from the stealership

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case anyone searches this and runs into the same mess I did, the correct thread is 14x1.5. Just get that size and rethread it. Worked perfectly for me, almost hand tightend it all the way on