Help on removing oil from block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tanji

Reaction score
Hey guys! I am trying to replace the oil pan gasket and oil pan but the pan is stuck to the block. Is there any way I can get it out without damaging the block?

Thanks!

Tanji

Reaction score
Okay. So after a few hammering and peeled off skin, I managed to loosen the gasket away from the engine block but the gasket is now stuck to the pan T-T . Any advice?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I usually use a putty-knife or single edged razor blade. What's left comes off pretty easily with some solvent and light wire brushing.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seconding the putty knife and solvent. The putty knife I use was the cheapest metal bladed putty knife I could find. the blade is very thin and flexible, which actually makes it cut like a razor blade and gives it some flexibility.

When I did mine, the PO (or their mechanic) put it on with orange RTV. The great thing about RTV is that if you use a little ammonia floor cleaner, and a little elbow grease with your scraper or a wire brush, it comes off very easily.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I think they're designed to go together fast at the factory but changing oil pan gaskets just comes with all the miserys built in regardless of what you're working on.