Help need to fix Ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pivert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Arriving at the end of the installation of my réhausse 2.5 "JBA (OME 927/948), I find myself in a dilemma. How to properly tighten the steering ball joints on the pivot knuckle? According to the workshop manual the torque is 108 Nm.

Problem, I'm screwed, my Torque wrench does not trip and I'm afraid to explode the ball joints. Got a tip?

Same problem for the A-Arm ball joints (modified to JBA lift: http://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2002-2007 -arms.html ...) I do not know how to screw. In addition, it is a nut with slots that should be blocked with a small rod passed through. For now I just lined the hole with the nut slot.

And with the new A-Arm of JBA, there is a large washer provided with. I must place it between the ball joint and the pivot knuckle, or between the ball joint nut and the pivot knuckle?

Thanks for your help.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are different specifications out there for torque settings so difficult to get a correct answer.

This sounds really strange, but I tighten the ball joint nuts "firmly" in proportion to their importance in the suspension. In other words, I don't tighten them down as hard as I can and they are not loose enough that they can be removed with just a slight turn with the wrench.

The "castle nut" with the slots in it for the upper ball joint should be firmly tightened and lined up so the slot and hole in the ball joint stud line up so you can put in the cotter pin. The large washer should go between the ball joint nut and the bottom of the pivot knuckle.

Hope this helps! :waytogo:

Bob

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not torque the ball joint nut. I would just tighten the nut until you feel it is tight. As long as it is tight you are good to go.