Remove Moog Ball Joint - HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yafacio

Reaction score
I have a torn boot on a lower front Moog ball joint 80767 and the standard adapter ID 2 1/4 won't fit over the bottom of the ball joint to press it out. Any suggestions? the 2 3/4 ID adapter is way to big. Liberty stuck on the lift until I can figure this out. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your local parts store - advance - auto zone - etc should have a loaner / rental program for a ball joint kit.

of course, there is always the jackstand under the control arm and a decent 8 pound or so hammer.

Trainmaster

Reaction score
Clean it up, put a jack under the control arm and pound it out with a mallet.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's pressed into the knuckle upside down hows a jack under the control arm going to help?

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had to remove a ball joint that way yet, but i'd say it would give it a stable foundation, where more of the impact energy is transferred to the ball joint and not lost traveling through the lca.

Like a good stable base an anvil mounted to, vs just having it sitting on a bench freely.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
use the tool from the parts stores, easy to do and no missed hits and broken fingers

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI gotta use the 4wd ball joint tool not regular otherwise won’t fit. I got mine out by taking the entire control arm off and then using a sledge with socket to pound the old one out and to them to get new one in. If only I had know about the 4wd ball joint tool at the time I would have used that instead

Latest posts

Members online