help me pick some A/Ts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to Tire Rack
4) Grabbers $668
4) Duratracs $728
from Summit Racing
4) Hankook Dynapro ATM 652.

interesting

Also according to tire rack:

In my size.

4) Grabbers $600
4) Duratracs $824

I guess it comes down to what size you end up getting.

You also got to realize he wanted to keep the stock size or close to it. As far as I know, the Duratrac is not offered in 235/70/16 or 245/70/16. You would have to settle for a 225/75/16.

So according to tire rack:
245/70/16 Grabber is $532 for 4
225/75/16 Duratrac is $672 for 4 (which is a 10 ply tire)

Which in the end wouldn't matter since he wanted the same width or a tad wider tire.

Last edited:

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All those prices don't include mount and balance right? I mean I was lookin at some duratracs when shopping for tires and lowest I could find was 950 mounted and balanced with a warranty in a 245/75. So almost 1000 bucks for rubber? I'm sorry but no tire is worth that unless it were to last 100,000 miles. I say go with the best you can afford not everyone here can throw down $1000 on tires that's crazy to me.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh wow, $100 less? The Hankooks are THAT expensive?

Just get Duratracs, why do people insist on saving money in spots like this but they're OK with spending the price difference between Goodyears and some Korean garbage on eBay lights, stupid floor mats and car audio? Seriously, this is some dumb shit.

Not directed toward you, bluekj, it's just a trend ThunderbirdJunkie has noticed over the two decades he has been owning and modifying vehicles.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

None taken. I'm still in highschool so my funds are very limited as to what I can buy so I look at reviews and go with the "best of the cheapest" since I can't even afford the duratracs or many high end items to begin with.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
All those prices don't include mount and balance right? I mean I was lookin at some duratracs when shopping for tires and lowest I could find was 950 mounted and balanced with a warranty in a 245/75. So almost 1000 bucks for rubber? I'm sorry but no tire is worth that unless it were to last 100,000 miles. I say go with the best you can afford not everyone here can throw down $1000 on tires that's crazy to me.

The moment you cut your tire on a rock, root, log, or curb you'll wish you spent an extra $50 per tire.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that Duratracs AREN'T a good tire, but the Dynapros are plenty good too...they've gotten me everywhere I need to be and then some. They cut through snow like it's their job. They even hardly wear. It's a good option. I am a firm believer of "you get what you pay for" so yes, the Duratracs may be better in some aspects. But if someone doesn't want to pay the extra, then so be it. They're on discounttiredirect for 125 a pop with free shipping. $500 for rubber sounds fantastic to me. Duratracs are a whopping 193 per tire. That's $764 for rubber at all four corners. I would gladly save the $264 for tires that are very well spoken of. If you have trouble, so be it, go buy another with the money that you saved.

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

And even at the price Tommudd found them for, you're still saving $228 on Dynapros. If money is tight, these are a very good buy. I'm not a tire salesman. I'm just speaking from damn experience.

lejeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 5 BFG All-Terrain T/A KOs in 225/75/R16. Everywhere online seemed like it would have added up to about $900-$1000, including shipping and installation. I decided to pay about $1100 to buy locally and get a good replacement plan. These are way over what the OP was asking, but I really like these tires. I would have considered the Duratracs if I had known they came in my size, though.

It might just be me, but I think that the BFG ATs stop better in the rain than my stock tires did on dry pavement. lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
With my Duratracs I shopped around local shops and on line. Found the best on line price, then went to the cheapest place that could get Duratracs.
They met the online price/mounted/balanced all taxes for what it would of cost me to just buy them online. End of the month on a Saturday, they were hungry for business . Less than 800 out the door for 265-75-16s

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not that Duratracs AREN'T a good tire, but the Dynapros are plenty good too...they've gotten me everywhere I need to be and then some. They cut through snow like it's their job. They even hardly wear. It's a good option. I am a firm believer of "you get what you pay for" so yes, the Duratracs may be better in some aspects. But if someone doesn't want to pay the extra, then so be it. They're on discounttiredirect for 125 a pop with free shipping. $500 for rubber sounds fantastic to me. Duratracs are a whopping 193 per tire. That's $764 for rubber at all four corners. I would gladly save the $264 for tires that are very well spoken of. If you have trouble, so be it, go buy another with the money that you saved.

And even at the price Tommudd found them for, you're still saving $228 on Dynapros. If money is tight, these are a very good buy. I'm not a tire salesman. I'm just speaking from damn experience.

Used to sell tires for a living
I always liked people who bought cheaper tires cause they came back more often :rofl::rofl::rofl:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
People don't understand the people that review tires don't know anything about tires.

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Jku has Duratracs and I actually like the Cooper Discoverer AT3's on my kj better. The Duratracs are a tougher tire but traction in everything but mud is better with the at3. The kj is a daily driver though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey thanks for the link. it looks like im going with your first link at $125 per tire at 5 tires. those look way better tread wise than what i have now so i believe theyll be just fine.

the street tread nexens i have now took me through some steep ass mountains last year with 8in of snow no problem. so the ones you linked to will kill no doubt.

as i said before, life expenses have got in the way of my lift so i must go 1 more round with regular tires as much i i hate the thoughts of it. its either that or have trouble buying groceries. i dont extreme wheel anyway. when i get the lift in 2 yrs ill go with some 265s for sure.

Last edited:

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 more question. 235/70/16....vs 245/75/16.

is the 245 the same height, only a bit wider? if so i might go this size if it wont rub at stock height. i like a wider look.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had the factory tires on my KJ, but have had MT/R's, Treadwright Guard Dog's, and now the Hankook Dynapro ATm's. For the money the Dynapro's seem like a steal. Got mine for $98 a piece with replacement certs. Have held up fine to desert wheeling and sharp ass rocks. Smooth and quiet on road (at lest compared to MT's :D ) as well. Have only had mine for 8,000 ish miles thus far but I like them better than the other tires I have had. I don't wheel very hard like I use to though. For lots o' street but good offroad, I would definitely suggest looking into the Dynapro's. Lots o' wheelin', I would go with another set of Guard Dog's.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 more question. 235/70/16....vs 245/75/16.

is the 245 the same height, only a bit wider? if so i might go this size if it wont rub at stock height. i like a wider look.

235 70. 245 75 are a 31 inch tire, I believe, and requires a lift.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're like 99% of the people that compare their new tires to the garbage that came on the thing from the factory, then probably not.

Well i knew what came on the Jeep from factory was garbage...so.......

It's a matter of grip and feel, really. The RWD Jeep grips almost as well as my mother's AWD Milan V6 with Michelins on it.