help me pick some A/Ts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i have yet to get my frankenlift so keep that in mind. i will have to go through 1 more set of tires before i get my lift. life expenses have got in the way once again. it will be another 2 years before i can get a lift. so.........

with that in mind i need some help picking some new tires. right now i have a set of nexen 235/70/16 with pretty much street tread. nothing fancy but i like the wider look from the stock 225. theyve actually been great tires. im hitting about 50k on them now. rotating every 5k.

i now would like to get some A/Ts but they dont have to be name brand. in fact id like to spend no more than $600 if possible. i want to keep the same size tires since i dont have my lift, however if i could go just a tad wider id like that ...just NOT taller.

so where can i get a set of A/Ts for around $600? also im still using stock wheels.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up some Hankook Dynapro ATM and they are awesome so far! Just as good on the road as they perform off road.

Outofideas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on the dynapros. They ride great , not too noisy and wear really well. I have them back on mine right now (245/70r16) and I drive about 90 miles a day. I also have a set of good year duratracs (245/75r16) on other wheels. Both are great tires just using the Hankooks again as I get about 2.5 better mpg on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0uTkAsT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The DynaPro AT/Ms are great tires! Had a set of 32s" on my Tacoma for a while. Good traction and tread life and available with C or D rated sidewalls.

Another option might be the Goodyear Wrangler Authority, if they come in your size. Also good tires but if I remember correctly they only offer them in 6 sizes or something like that... They might not be usable without a lift.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running Dynapros. The ONLY complaint I have is that they're loud (obviously, compared to a street tire). Which I don't care since I enjoy the noise and I blast music anyway. Other than that they're fantastic.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've herd only from one other person about tire noise with the dynapros my personal experience is I don't think their noisy, I honestly think my roof cross bars are more noisy than the tires.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For 25-30 bucks more per tire I'd still go with Duratracs
those would never work for me unless I bought a car

0uTkAsT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dynapros are about $100 less than the duratracs
I'll add to this by mentioning that they're just as durable and much lighter too. The tread design is pretty conservative but it still provides good traction off-road.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll add to this by mentioning that they're just as durable and much lighter too. The tread design is pretty conservative but it still provides good traction off-road.

I don't think they're conservative for an A/T. They're not an M/T.

0uTkAsT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think they're conservative for an A/T. They're not an M/T.
That's true that they're not as conservative as some, but compared to truly "aggressive" A/Ts like Bajas, Duratracs, Authoritys, M16s, etc. they still have a pretty tame tread pattern and minimal sidewall tread and rock guards. Again I'm not bashing them at all since I had a set and was quite happy with them, just comparing looks as I believe that's what tommud was referring to.

This is the only picture I can find right now of the AT/Ms on my Tacoma (and yes there were two AT/Ms on it and two BFGs when this picture was taken... long story)

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote Duratracs,...even though they don't make them in a 235/70/16. I just installed a set of 225/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs on my Wifes Libby. Her Libby has Stock sagging suspension as of now, "ordered some Bilsteins & new factory springs to take care of the sagging suspension" And we Love the Duratracs. They ride smooth as glass, and are super quiet they are actually quieter than the factory Wrangler SR/A's that were on there. But that's probably due to the SR/A's being cupped and badly worn. Lol. Love the Duratracs though. Best All terrain tire I have ever ran. Excellent in every condition you can put them in. I'm also running a set of 33" Duratracs on my XJ.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I vote Duratracs,...even though they don't make them in a 235/70/16. I just installed a set of 225/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs on my Wifes Libby. Her Libby has Stock sagging suspension as of now, "ordered some Bilsteins & new factory springs to take care of the sagging suspension" And we Love the Duratracs. They ride smooth as glass, and are super quiet they are actually quieter than the factory Wrangler SR/A's that were on there. But that's probably due to the SR/A's being cupped and badly worn. Lol. Love the Duratracs though. Best All terrain tire I have ever ran. Excellent in every condition you can put them in. I'm also running a set of 33" Duratracs on my XJ.

Yep there ya go!
I'm running 32s on the KJ and have over 54,000 miles on them, great wearing tire/good ride, just keep them rotated I've had 6 other sets of tires on mine that I got tired of and took off and sold. The Duratracs are the first set I've kept this long and still like

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the money grabber at2's alllll day. Got a set 245/70/16 for about 530$ and they go through anything. Snow, mud, rocks. They perform amazing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For the money grabber at2's alllll day. Got a set 245/70/16 for about 530$ and they go through anything. Snow, mud, rocks. They perform amazing.
Friend had a set of those
he had problems in 4 wheel drive going where I did in two wheel
Never been a fan of the Grabbers at all
But some like them

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The dynapros are about $100 less than the duratracs

Oh wow, $100 less? The Hankooks are THAT expensive?

Just get Duratracs, why do people insist on saving money in spots like this but they're OK with spending the price difference between Goodyears and some Korean garbage on eBay lights, stupid floor mats and car audio? Seriously, this is some dumb shit.

Not directed toward you, bluekj, it's just a trend ThunderbirdJunkie has noticed over the two decades he has been owning and modifying vehicles.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friend had a set of those
he had problems in 4 wheel drive going where I did in two wheel
Never been a fan of the Grabbers at all
But some like them

I second the Grabbers. I realize some people don't like them but they are awesome in about everything(except mud, but still better than most A/Ts) for a CHEAP tire.

That said, I am going to try Duratracs next time. Only because I want to try something else(for aggressive looks mostly) since I've ran Grabbers on my last 2 vehicles.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
According to Tire Rack
4) Grabbers $668
4) Duratracs $728
from Summit Racing
4) Hankook Dynapro ATM 652.

interesting

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online