Help me modify the wifes liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmiikkee

Reaction score
Hey everyone I joined this forum to hopefully get some input on mods for the wife's KJ. It's a silver 02 limited. I'm going to doing wheels, tires, pair of hella black magics, and some tail light guards. There doesn't seem to be a big aftermarket for the liberty so any other ideas on things to change the look of it would be cool. Going to stick to black accessories and kinda a tough look. She's a country girl so no dubs and chrome stick on fender vents. Please post pics and links if you got em. Thanks.

mmiikkee

Reaction score
that's some cool stuff... rig it up with rock slides and bumpers then maybe she will let me hit some trails with it lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Before you even start with wheels and tires you need to think about the suspension. 12 year old springs and shocks are done for if they have never been upgraded. I've seen 4 and 5 year old springs sagged over an inch and riding like a buckboard.
Aftermarket suspension not only provides for better ride and handling but also a little larger tire and aftermarket wheels won't rub so bad.
If going off road any at all, of course skid plates and tow hooks are a very wise investment .
Plastic tail light guards only get's you points at the mall :whip::icon_lol:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good advice above! Just remember you get what you pay for when it comes to components and there are plenty of reviews and advice on this forum. Just wanted to chime in and say I love the title of this thread.

mmiikkee

Reaction score
To be honest the thing will probably never go off road to do any wheeling. Might take us down some dirt roads or out to the back of a field to the deer blind. It's her daily driver and I'm going to change up the look for a birthday surprise. Originally the plan was to do a spacer lift... until i got on here and read all the poor feedback about it. That kinda burst the bubble on getting it jacked up because the cost of the other recommended lifts to get about 2.5" is not worth the money for what we need it for. Anyone know what the stock ride height is supposed to be? I'll measure it tonight to check for saggage lol. As it sits in stock form were both pleased with the ride and stance so if I go with AT tires that are about the same height and different wheels I can't see having an issue. Also if there's no lift involved because there's no need for a bigger tire should I put new stock springs on it? I guess the original intention of the thread was to get ideas on stuff like grills, lights, and other accessories to change up the appearance... you know the mall crawler ****

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cue the Ironman/OME is better than anything discussion.......

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
"Upgrading" the suspension is NOT ONLY for offroading.
98% of the people who swap out the junk suspension does it for the on road ride and handling as much as off. Rides 100s times better than new. I swapped mine at 20,000 miles and waited 19,999 too long.
Yes spacer lifts and worn suspension is like putting new shoes on a dead horse, not worth it. Stock springs and shocks are good for 50-60,000 miles
Wish you could ride in a well setup KJ, you'd see the difference in the first mile as far as ride goes. Go over holes in the road, over rail road tracks and you'd be wondering what just happened since you never felt them.
As far as tires you're going to have to stick to stock sizes
Yours being an 02 new was 19.75-20 depending on model/extras etc in front

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small basics tint the glass vent visors also a good radio and change all the fluids for her. Plus I agree with everything Tommod said.

mmiikkee

Reaction score
Me... Hey baby I put an OME lift on your jeep for birthday
Her.. Who's old man emu

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Any site no matter if Jeep, Mustang, Rav4,Harley , whatever is about upgrading that particular vehicle to make it better than new . Notice I didn't mention Honda's etc :happy175:
Well known fact that KJs/KKs came with weak springs from the factory so thats a great area to start.

Last edited:

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Monster energy drink stickers.... It's not extreme unless it has at least 3 of them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmiikkee

Reaction score
Probably gonna stick to the original plan wheels, tires, pair of hella's, tail light guards but only for the moment. Can't and won't argue with anyone on the suspension issues, I agree 100% because I know everyone is speaking from experience. There's always Christmas for gifts too. I'm a big gear head and can't leave anything stock, she's never had a modified vehicle so I can almost guarantee after a few complements on how the jeep looks the lift will be in the works.

mmiikkee

Reaction score
Hedsic ... you have to turn the monster sticker sideways where I'm from that's hardrcore.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What part of MI are you from, just moved from Northwest part of Ohio just curious

Wives are funny if I was doing something to mine it was always why are you doing that, how does that make it any better etc. BUT let us go somewhere and she would always point out " OUR " Jeep. Funny how she suddenly owned part of it:happy175: She has a Toyota over there in Tanzania and she is always wanting something for it to make it stand out more from everyone else's. Last request was for a lift, sure Honey will ship that right out:ROFLJest:

Last edited:

krawlr4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me... Hey baby I put an OME lift on your jeep for birthday
Her.. Who's old man emu

You... 'The best springs we can buy for our awesome Liberty for $200 over stock crap?!'

Her... 'Ok well we need some Old Man Emu springs then!'

You... :)

Her... :)

KJ... :)

:happy175:

Just did mind a month ago and after owning my KJ for 6 years, I still after a month feel like I'm driving a new Jeep/vehicle now! Well worth the upgrade! Every time I look at my KJ
Now, I want more things but my wallet laughs at me right now! :p
In my opinion, its how the KJ should have came from the factory!

Good luck in whatever you do her liberty pal, I'm sure she will love whatever it is you do to her lil KJ but overall performance and safety is alway
The best first upgrade to any vehicle! :)

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I joined this forum to hopefully get some input on mods for the wife's KJ...

You may want to spend some time going through the Members' Journals threads. You'll see a lot of examples of what others have done, what they want to do, what changes they really liked and the ones they wish they hadn't done. It's a good place to find a collection of successes and failures where other people got to be the guinea pigs. :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You may want to spend some time going through the Members' Journals threads. You'll see a lot of examples of what others have done, what they want to do, what changes they really liked and the ones they wish they hadn't done. It's a good place to find a collection of successes and failures where other people got to be the guinea pigs. :)

Someday maybe I'll have to read through that section, bet its interesting. I may even post up some things once I start adding to mine

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.