Help I don't know what's wrong!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the engine turns freely and the starter wants to start to turn it but can't I would get the starter load tested. How many amps does the starter want to pull when you try and crank the engine?

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the starter off!!! :) went and tested it its bad ( they said the motor is trying to kick on but its not engaging) let's pray this is the problem...plus the yellow wire was melted on the starter so we had to snap it off

Last edited:

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you sure the traction control has nothing to do with it not letting it start???
because the engine light comes on and the traction control!!

Last edited:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My moms boyfriend got under it and he said the starter looks like its working and the alternator is moving just a little when we try to start it...also tried the crank it moves so he said its good

You say the crank moves but can you rotate it or does it just move back and forth. IF it's locked up you can burn up starters and melt wires trying to turn it over putting extra juice to it. And have to be vary careful doing this but if the starter is not bolted in and you jump the wires fron the ignition to it and it works then there's no electrical problem to the starter unless your not getting full amps to it from that big thick wire from the battery to the starter. I've cranked over many of engines with out the ignition on just by jumping the starter. Not hard to do if you know what your doing.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say the crank moves but can you rotate it or does it just move back and forth. IF it's locked up you can burn up starters and melt wires trying to turn it over putting extra juice to it. And have to be vary careful doing this but if the starter is not bolted in and you jump the wires fron the ignition to it and it works then there's no electrical problem to the starter unless your not getting full amps to it from that big thick wire from the battery to the starter. I've cranked over many of engines with out the ignition on just by jumping the starter. Not hard to do if you know what your doing.
I've got a couple of screwdrivers and needle nose pliers I use for that.Had a real good set of needle nose pliers for the job but melted them once:smokin::grd:

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score

no we can turn the crank so that's good, are you talking about jumping?? The 30 pin n 87 pin we did that but I'll try again tomorrow unless your saying something else?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no we can turn the crank so that's good, are you talking about jumping?? The 30 pin n 87 pin we did that but I'll try again tomorrow unless your saying something else?

When they replaced the starter motor did they replace the solenoid attached to it?

There is a grounding strap that goes from the engine to the chassis....make sure that strap is clean and tight on both ends and also make sure that the negative lead from the battery has clean and tight connections where it bolts to the chassis.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No not jumping at the pins jump it out at the starter what you are doing is bypassing every thing and doing it right at the starter. If it doesn't turn then it's the starter or the cable from the battery to the starter. If it does.turn over it's an ignition electrical problem. Just trying to keep it simple for you.

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When they replaced the starter motor did they replace the solenoid attached to it?

There is a grounding strap that goes from the engine to the chassis....make sure that strap is clean and tight on both ends and also make sure that the negative lead from the battery has clean and tight connections where it bolts to the chassis.
we didnt replace the solenoid but we have looked at the grounding strap its fine

No not jumping at the pins jump it out at the starter what you are doing is bypassing every thing and doing it right at the starter. If it doesn't turn then it's the starter or the cable from the battery to the starter. If it does.turn over it's an ignition electrical problem. Just trying to keep it simple for you.

i will have to see if this works porkchop it was a Bit** to get the starter out but at least ill eliminate one more thing with out having to keep buying stuff to throw at it!

Last edited:

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have now changed the Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor still the same

should i change the cam shaft sensor tomorrow??

also when i leave the key in the on postion the check engine light flashes 5 times??

Last edited:

kaykay71110

Full Access Member
Reaction score

not sure how to jump the starter pork chop took the starter out and looking and reading what you said my moms boyfriend is not understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.