Help finding rocker panel covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hx214

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm the guy with the $800 dollar renegade with the rust issues.

I got the recall done, pulled the rusty running board/rocker protectors off, changed the ****** pan, fluids and she is running like a champ.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with these nasty rocker panels. There are places on them where you can basically push your finger right through them and there are some solid areas.

I have a few ideas as to what direction to go in,

---------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Cut the rockers off completely and weld in sheet to try to form up correctly.

2. Cut rockers off and weld in some square tubing with bedliner and form to fit.

3. Cut of the rot, re-enforce the rocker area with sheet in places and attach those rocker covers that are found on some models.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Option 1 would be great if I could find a donor vechile to cut the rockers off and tack in. I'm not all that savy with just working with sheet and body filler and I think it would be difficult to get a nice clean look.

Option 2 I have done before on my cousins XJ. It worked pretty well and looked clean, but I don't know if the ends would go well with the rest of the body lines and might look rackass.

I like option 3 the best. I think it would allow for less busy work and still give a nice clean look. I figure I will have to rig something up to make them fit, but I'm not worried about drilling holes in the solid spots of these shot panels and using some 3m auto tape to get them to cover the wounds.

I'm just have difficulty running down the covers. I can't find them on eBay or pretty much anywhere on the net (unless I'm calling them the wrong name). I asked the tech at the dealer when they were doing the recall work and he looked at me like I was dumb. He said there aren't any rocker covers.... I said, "On mine no.... but see on that one there (and I pointed to another Liberty getting recall work done that had them) and he said "OH those, let me look" and he couldn't even find them.... I asked him to pull up some Microfiche or something so we could find a part number but he failed to find that either..... so I don't know what to think!

Anybody pull these off theirs already and want to sell them cheap???

Are they not called rocker panel covers? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I think they call them Side Sill Molding(s) .... from 05 Parts List

5 MOLDING, Side Sill
5JH90XXXAE 1 Front, Right
5JH91XXXAE 1 Front, Left
5JH94XXXAD 1 Rear, Right
5JH95XXXAD 1 Rear, Left

Hx214

Reaction score
Just buy some new replacement rocker pannels.
Either OEM or aftermarket...

Ya, I'm not have much luck running those down either.

I search for rocker panel replacements and everything I think I find the right part it turns out to be chrome stick on panels.

I've looked through sites I have used before for replacement panels, but LMC doesn't have a Jeep section and Classic2Current.com has panels for Jeeps from 1946 all the way to 2012 and under its Rocker Panel Section it has nothing listed for the liberty.

I then read this on another forum, (But take that for what its worth)...

Unfortunately, the rocker panel is part of the one piece body side. To replace it, you would either have to obtain a replacment body side (price $750+) from the dealer, and cut out the portion you would need to use. Or, try and find a used one in good shape and use it.

Is this true?

I kind of figured after reading that and blanking on a search I was stuck with searching the bone yards for a donor.

If you have a link for the panels can you send it to me?

Hx214

Reaction score
I think they call them Side Sill Molding(s) .... from 05 Parts List

5 MOLDING, Side Sill
5JH90XXXAE 1 Front, Right
5JH91XXXAE 1 Front, Left
5JH94XXXAD 1 Rear, Right
5JH95XXXAD 1 Rear, Left

Thanks Luke!

Are they two pieces per side? I guess I need to take a closer look, I thought they were just one long cover.

I'll see what I can find.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
02-04s did not have a "cover" over the rocker panels
05-07s did thats why you see some having them and some not
Flares are made different as well on the above models
Yes it is a part of the main structure
If it was me I cut it out and have some one weld in square tube to reinforce it. Covering it up is not a fix just a band-aid

Hx214

Reaction score
Hmmm... That's strange...
After reading this thread I did a search on the interweb and found three sites that sold new OEM and reproduction rocker panels.
Just the rocker panels.

Ry' N Jen send me a link to what you found. I'm not having any luck.

Hx214

Reaction score
02-04s did not have a "cover" over the rocker panels
05-07s did thats why you see some having them and some not
Flares are made different as well on the above models
Yes it is a part of the main structure
If it was me I cut it out and have some one weld in square tube to reinforce it. Covering it up is not a fix just a band-aid

Ya, I realize that it was the 05-07's. I just figured I would have to modify something a bit.

I understand that covering rust isn't going to fix it, but I planned to cut out the problem areas, and grind out what I could and tack in some mounts for the sill covers and see if I could get it to look normal.

I've got the Hobart and plenty of square tubing sitting here. It really isn't that difficult to do if you take your time. Like I said in the open post I did my cousins XJ with it, but it had the square body lines so the square tubing looked nice. Guess I'll just have to mock up the Liberty and see if it looks ok.

Either way, the whole thing was 800 bux anyway, so I'm not to worried.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your actually talking about the steel rocker panels themselfs and want OE stuff then you will need to buy 2 panels per side(total of 4) and yes each will cost about $600 each,then cut off what you want to replace.

Check with a local autobody supply store for aftermarket rockers,they make them.If you can not find a autobody supply store go to the nearest bodyshop and ask where they get there non-OEM body parts from.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You could use the square tubing then build/buy some rock rails. That would hide the change.

Hx214

Reaction score
If your actually talking about the steel rocker panels themselfs and want OE stuff then you will need to buy 2 panels per side(total of 4) and yes each will cost about $600 each,then cut off what you want to replace.

Check with a local autobody supply store for aftermarket rockers,they make them.If you can not find a autobody supply store go to the nearest bodyshop and ask where they get there non-OEM body parts from.

Ya, this is what I figured. I'll check with the body shop next time I go by and see what they have to say. I don't know why I can't find anything online for these as far as aftermarket goes. I can find rockers for everything else.

Are the aftermarket rockers you are talking about just universal fit rockers?

Ry' Jen can you post a link to the three sites you found that offer liberty rockers?

HoosierJeeper said:
You could use the square tubing then build/buy some rock rails. That would hide the change.

I'm thinking this is going to be the best solution. I have the renegade rails that came with it, but they need a ton of cleaning up and repainting. I figure I can rig something up.

I'll take pictures when I get around to do it and we'll see how it turns out.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online