Help diagnose a noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time and i step on the gas and especially when let go of it something loudly bangs underneath the car. I’ve check all the usual suspects (front drive shaft cv-joint, all u-joints are good, control arms in the back are new iron rock with flex joints, all ball joints seem good, engine and transmission mounts have been replaced a year ago with OEM) so i’m really running out of ideas what could be causing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think it may be coming more from front or rear?
Possibly it is the sway bar end links?

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think it may be coming more from front or rear?
Possibly it is the sway bar end links?
It sounds like from the rear, and i had the sway bar links replaced not to long ago. I’m starting to wonder if it could be the diff, i had detroit true trac put in it couple of years ago, and maybe the shop didn’t set the backlash correctly.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m almost wondering if i should try removing the rear drive shaft and drive in front wheel drive mode to see if the noise goes away, and then do the same with front drive shaft.

Steelman

Reaction score
Every time and i step on the gas and especially when let go of it something loudly bangs underneath the car. I’ve check all the usual suspects (front drive shaft cv-joint, all u-joints are good, control arms in the back are new iron rock with flex joints, all ball joints seem good, engine and transmission mounts have been replaced a year ago with OEM) so i’m really running out of ideas what could be causing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Gee- when you let off? Backfire?

Kawika

Reaction score
I had a problem with the motor mounts being loose and making a clunk sound that I swear was everything but..
I was wrong until I was right.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay i think i figured it out. Took it to a mechanic and he couldn’t figure it out, said everything is tight and looks good. So i bought myself chassis ears and listened to every bit of rear suspension. Turned out its the flex joint on the upper A-arm . It feel tight, i can’t move it with a breaker bar but i got a half a turn on the nut, and that did it.

Last edited:

Kawika

Reaction score
Okay i think i figured it out. Took it to a mechanic and he couldn’t figure it out, said everything is tight and looks good. So i bought myself chassis ears and listened to every bit of rear suspension. Turned out its the flex joint on the upper A-arm . It feel tight, i can’t move it with a breaker bar but i got a half a turn on the nut, and that did it.
Good job