Help diagnose a clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this very annoying metallic clunk anytime the Jeep starts moving and when i let off the gas. It seems like it’s coming from the front but I’m not sure. In the rear i got a brand new iron rock rear a-arm, lower c/a are stock but the bushings were ok two month ago when I installed a-arm. In the front everything is brand new except for cv-axles but the boots are good on them. Intermediate shaft was replaced last year with crown auto unit. Front diff has polyurethane bushings installed recently, both engine and transmission mounts are new (mopar). Front drive shaft cv is good, rack and pinion bushings replaced last year. So i’m running out of options trying to guess what it is, my only idea is that crown auto intermediate shaft wore out prematurely because i installed it with a used oem cv-axle, although I don’t feel too much play in it. If anyone has any ideas would be much appreciated.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this very annoying metallic clunk anytime the Jeep starts moving and when i let off the gas. It seems like it’s coming from the front but I’m not sure. In the rear i got a brand new iron rock rear a-arm, lower c/a are stock but the bushings were ok two month ago when I installed a-arm. In the front everything is brand new except for cv-axles but the boots are good on them. Intermediate shaft was replaced last year with crown auto unit. Front diff has polyurethane bushings installed recently, both engine and transmission mounts are new (mopar). Front drive shaft cv is good, rack and pinion bushings replaced last year. So i’m running out of options trying to guess what it is, my only idea is that crown auto intermediate shaft wore out prematurely because i installed it with a used oem cv-axle, although I don’t feel too much play in it. If anyone has any ideas would be much appreciated.
I had a similar clunk when letting off the gas when my rear diff went bad. I narrowed in on the source by crawling around in back as my wife drove. Those clunks can be hard to pinpoint from the driver's seat as things resonate around the car or along the driveshaft.

vlad588

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar clunk when letting off the gas when my rear diff went bad. I narrowed in on the source by crawling around in back as my wife drove. Those clunks can be hard to pinpoint from the driver's seat as things resonate around the car or along the driveshaft.
What happened to your diff?

Latest posts

Members online