HELP Clunking sound - undriveable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went to leave home, got a block away and there was a slight clunky feeling (thought it was a flat tire at first) but as I accelerated it got worse. Had to stop and turn around. Let it slowly drive home and the clunking got more and more intense. Put it in neutral and rolled the rest of the way home to see if it was a transmission thing but still was clunking. What could it be? So close to needing rego done too :(

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and as it was rolling home I went around a right curve in the road and it was worse while turning

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That does not sound good.
Inspection time, It is coming from the front I assume..intermediate shaft or CV gone south?

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Others have also said CV joint. The most inconvenient time though. Christmas and whatnot. Dont think ill afford it all so she will be off the road for a while..

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U-joint? FIRST thing I'd check with that issue would be all the lug nuts. Sometimes they just seem to get loose for no apparent reason.

Bob

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
"Hang" on here..
Did you just say nuts & Sometimes they just seem to get loose for no apparent reason, in the same sentence? :happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
CV- Intermediate shaft
Wheel bearings
rear joint on front driveshaft
are where I would start checking

after loose lugnuts that :emotions34:someone mentioned

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Hang" on here..
Did you just say nuts & Sometimes they just seem to get loose for no apparent reason, in the same sentence? :happy175:

TWO sentences. That's what one of these(.) a period, though it looks kinda like a boob, denotes.:emotions34:

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had new brakes put on the front, so maybe they didnt tighten them up properly. Will have a look.
I was driving it up and down the driveway earlier and it seems to have dissapeared again. Why would it come and go?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had new brakes put on the front, so maybe they didnt tighten them up properly. Will have a look.
I was driving it up and down the driveway earlier and it seems to have dissapeared again. Why would it come and go?

If it isn't the lugnuts and since you just did the brakes, make sure the calipers are secure. Did you do rotors too? Make sure the caliper bracket is tight. My drivers side lugnuts are difficult to torque due to some grit that I could not get rid of. They'd always loosen after initially torquing them. Upon retorque they'd be fine. Now I put a new set of McGards on and all is well.

BullwinkleMoose

Reaction score
Had the same problem. My emergency brake pad broke apart and it exactly like you said. It was even worse when turning corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lug nuts were ok, took it in and the clunking only came back when they put it in 4wd, so we removed the driveshaft. Will get a new one in the future when money allows.
Does the driveshaft move at all times though, I most definitely did not bump it or have it in 4wd when it was clunking that day. I even double checked at the time.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lug nuts were ok, took it in and the clunking only came back when they put it in 4wd, so we removed the driveshaft. Will get a new one in the future when money allows.
Does the driveshaft move at all times though, I most definitely did not bump it or have it in 4wd when it was clunking that day. I even double checked at the time.

I'm assuming you mean front driveshaft? Shouldn't have to replace it. The cvs can be easily replaced. Probably the rear joint. That one always seems to be the cause of issues. And yes it moves all the time.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.