Hello from Sunny South Africa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stev0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What up guys....

Calling in from Cape Town, South Africa... and im on the verge of purchasing a 3.7 Ltd

im so excited!!

Cheers

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
yeah I know what you mean, Merry Christmas to you and everybody else too.

Btw, Is the CRD a nicer ride?
Welcome to JKJ. :)

Fuel Economy is better, but if diesel is more expensive (way more expensive) than gas in South Africa like it is here in the USA... I wouldn't bother. Torque is nice for pulling....

If any of these issues matter to you then yes the CRD engine is the better buy. I've had both, but personally after some of the CRD issues I had (EGR valves... you might not have those over there?) I'm gonna be more of a fan of the 3.7L.

stev0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel economy cant be that much better... can it?

Diesel is more expensive. South africa does have a pretty crappy diesel too, Lots of parafin, or so ive heard.

Ive never owned a diesel, i like the torque of any turbocharged car though, petrol or diesel, but it also makes it laggy (on or off type scenario)

I want a simply smooth and quiet engine that will give little to no trouble. I dont have time to still fight with blown turbos and faulty diesel injectors due to ugly diesel.

I would assume that the Petrol would be somewhat quicker to 60?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The fuel economy cant be that much better... can it?

Diesel is more expensive. South africa does have a pretty crappy diesel too, Lots of parafin, or so ive heard.

Ive never owned a diesel, i like the torque of any turbocharged car though, petrol or diesel, but it also makes it laggy (on or off type scenario)

I want a simply smooth and quiet engine
that will give little to no trouble. I dont have time to still fight with blown turbos and faulty diesel injectors due to ugly diesel.

I would assume that the Petrol would be somewhat quicker to 60?
Then get the 3.7L. It too isn't 100% smooth, being a 90º V6.... it's the 4.7L V8 with 2 less cylinders. 0-60 is about the same, maybe a second slower. You can feel a lil bit of engine vibration at idle, that's about it.

I dunno how cold it gets down there... but the diesel does run rough in the cold weather. Not rattle your teeth out rough, but kinda like a early '90s Honda or Mitsubishi.

Fuel economy is about 4-5MPG better.

Both are good and durable engines. 3.7Ls can last into the 200k mile range, and longer (how much longer has yet to be tested), the 2.5/2.8L CRDs, longer (they're diesels after all...)

I'd suggest test