Heavy towing with the Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coop

Reaction score
I have a question. I own an 18ft center console fishing boat and a liberty. Boat, motor, trailer and gear, I am probably pushing 4500 pounds. The Jeep is an 04 sport 3.7L, Auto trans. with a class III hitch.

What I would like to know is how to best outfit the jeep for extended trips. I live in FL., so no mountains involved. I would like the rear suspension to be stiffer(take more weight) and some kind of system to better cool both the engine and transmission. Any suggestions would be helpful. Any other parts or suggestions that would help the cause are appreciated.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
coop said:
I have a question. I own an 18ft center console fishing boat and a liberty. Boat, motor, trailer and gear, I am probably pushing 4500 pounds. The Jeep is an 04 sport 3.7L, Auto trans. with a class III hitch.

What I would like to know is how to best outfit the jeep for extended trips. I live in FL., so no mountains involved. I would like the rear suspension to be stiffer(take more weight) and some kind of system to better cool both the engine and transmission. Any suggestions would be helpful. Any other parts or suggestions that would help the cause are appreciated.

I have seen pics of others towing boats that size w/out problems. Do you have the HD cooling/tow package? If so, you will have a clutch fan and large shroud. I would look into adding the biggest trans cooler you can fit in front of the radiator and be sure to run good quality sythetic oil, gear oils and trans fluid. Your Jeep will pull that load, you just got treat it nice so it will live. I wouldn't worry about oil cooling, just keep the trans cool.
Also make sure your coolant is up to ***** by testing it.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget a good electric brake controller-Stoping would be something to worry about...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the jeep already has the towing pack, then you have the HD cooling. Not much more you can do besides getting a bigger after market cooler like JJSKJ said.

Good brake controller of course like adam said.

Other than that, just be sure to keep all the fluids changed in the kj like they should be. Just safe and allow plenty of room to stop. O:)

About the rear suspension. You can get airbags for the rear of the Libby and pump them up and down as you please. You must pump them up by hand unless you rig up a pump for them.

AIR_RIDE

I have this brand and really like them. They come with a spacer for each side, all the tubing you need, and little valves so that you can use a tire pump to put them up with. O:)

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not personally have any real faith in the 42RLE trannys as being a real towing transmission. The XJs autos (AW4) from the late 80's to the XJ's demise was one of the strongest to date in my opinion and from what I know from the ongoing repairs at local Jeep dealers.

I would think twice especially if you don't have the tow package.

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey jeepjeepster do those air bags affect your articulation any? or do they just sit in the spring with no attaching point? Got a pic?