Heavy Grease On Front Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am noting some heavy grease lightly streaking on both front wheels after 500 miles. Is that just normal or should I just clean it up and get on with life.

'06 CRD

Thanks in advance.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say its not normal. Check your cv joint boots to see if they are torn or something. Try to figure out where the grease is coming from.

2003KJ

Reaction score
If you can post some pics or be a bit more descriptive on where on the wheels (inside or out), as well as front or rear.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have my camera today but will try to post tomorrow. It appears to be coming down the wheel spokes and then out along the rim. I titled it "heavy" to indicate that it is heavy bodied not that there is a lot of it and it is just on the front.

I thought I would check here before I took it to the dealer so I would have some idea if there was a standard problem.

Thanks again and I will try to post pics in the morning.

dnm45227

Reaction score
Just a possibility, but it could be from the wheel studs. I usually try to keep a little grease on them to help keep the lug nuts from rusting.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK here are the photos. This grease is coating the calipers too which is leading me to the posibility that it is some kind of brake lube.

DSCN0367.JPG

DSCN0366.JPG

Hummmm, pictures don't show. They are in the gallery though so I guess one needs to view them there.

-=Jon=- Edit: fixed it up for ya

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jon. What did I muck up?

On a personal note, thanks for the "Live Strong" message. I lost my 18 year old son October 1 to bone cancer. We had been planning the Portland ride this summer before he became diagnosed.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, sorry about your son. Im just 19 years old. Very sad.

As for the grease, i think thats just build up from brake dust then its getting wet from the snow/rain. Btw, like that snow. Could be wrong though.

wash the stuff off and see if it comes back with time. If its there the next day, you have different problems b/c it takes a while for that much dust to build up from the brakes.

2003KJ

Reaction score
hmmmm...judging by the pics, if you're referring to the brown streaks running dwn the edges, that looks more like brake dust to me, brake dust that was mixed with water. I couldn't help but notice the snow on the ground, it's possible some snow built up in there, and started to wash away the dust as it melted.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Brake dust was my first thought but I have never know brake dust to feel greasy. This is greasy, smells greasy.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
cowcatcher said:
Thanks Jon. What did I muck up?

On a personal note, thanks for the "Live Strong" message. I lost my 18 year old son October 1 to bone cancer. We had been planning the Portland ride this summer before he became diagnosed.

u kinda got the wrong url so thats what was causing the problem

No problem w/ the Livestrong. Sorry to hear about ur son. I have it up cause it's been picking off my family one by one. Started w/ my grandmother in 98, grandfather in 04, and my uncle a few months ago.
a few other scares too in recent months, but thankfully it was taken care of before anything.

anyway, yeah, it looks like just ur normal brake dust residue after ran....
my rims look like that too after a while (specially in the winter)

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, will chalk it up to brake residue but one more question. Why am I not seeing it on the rear?