heater core

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepliberty03

Reaction score
Hey was wondering if some one can help me and this is probably asked over and over I have a 2003 jeep liberty 3.7l 4 wheel drive.. I was wondering if someone has step by step instructions with pictures on how to removal the dash and heater core... also is there a way to not mess around with the ac discharge etc ? ANy way around it ??? any help will greatly be appreciated .. I am mechanically inclined

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got enough of my dash apart to reach the blend door actuator motor. That was a PITA. That said, the FSM is really good if you can tolerate the jumping back and forth between sections. If my heater core goes I'm gonna set it on fire. :happy175:

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Just got enough of my dash apart to reach the blend door actuator motor. That was a PITA. That said, the FSM is really good if you can tolerate the jumping back and forth between sections. If my heater core goes I'm gonna set it on fire. :happy175:

That'll keep you warm and defrosted.

I think the FSM is written for "point and click". Mine is a forest of post-it-note tabs. Wish I'd come up with a comprehensive color code theme at the beginning.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just a lot of nuts, bolts, and screws. You remove the center console and dash and drop the steering colum down. That shows you the hvac box and heater core. I don't know a way to do it without removing the a/c. It's pretty straight forward and isn't hard to figure out as you go. just takes a lot of time, it's not that difficult. It's a full day job. I took the time to clean the dust and dirt off everything and checked the blend door was working right.

Dizzydevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's just a lot of nuts, bolts, and screws. You remove the center console and dash and drop the steering colum down. That shows you the hvac box and heater core. I don't know a way to do it without removing the a/c. It's pretty straight forward and isn't hard to figure out as you go. just takes a lot of time, it's not that difficult. It's a full day job. I took the time to clean the dust and dirt off everything and checked the blend door was working right.

How does the core fit in the dash does it sit in a container curious if it would be faster to cut a hole through the firewall?
That's how someone did the core on my ZJ they made a removable cover on the firewall so they no longer needed to access through the dash. looking at the service manual it looks like the firewall where the tubes pass through and the core sits inn the box/ container are not really obscured so I figured I would ask before I tried to cut the thing out.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does the core fit in the dash does it sit in a container curious if it would be faster to cut a hole through the firewall?
That's how someone did the core on my ZJ they made a removable cover on the firewall so they no longer needed to access through the dash. looking at the service manual it looks like the firewall where the tubes pass through and the core sits inn the box/ container are not really obscured so I figured I would ask before I tried to cut the thing out.

I predict a "for sale cheap" sign in the near future. :icon_lol:

Bob

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I predict a "for sale cheap" sign in the near future. :icon_lol:

Bob

Aw come on Bob, anything is possible with a six pack and a sawzall. I actually prefer the sparks flying from an angle grinder and a cutoff wheel. :gr_grin:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aw come on Bob, anything is possible with a six pack and a sawzall. I actually prefer the sparks flying from an angle grinder and a cutoff wheel. :gr_grin:

Then you'd LURVE my ocy/acy torch!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you'd LURVE my ocy/acy torch!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Wish I had it now. I'm about to go out and cut off more of the heat shield on my 01 Subaru. The whole exhaust is covered with it and it rattles like a... crap never very good at those similes, and you are the master. :happy175:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I had it now. I'm about to go out and cut off more of the heat shield on my 01 Subaru. The whole exhaust is covered with it and it rattles like a... crap never very good at those similes, and you are the master. :happy175:

A large radiator hose clamp(or two or three small ones fastened together) makes a great clamp to re-attach those rusted loose shields and stop the rattling like a loose lug nut in a hubcap.

Bob

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
A large radiator hose clamp(or two or three small ones fastened together) makes a great clamp to re-attach those rusted loose shields and stop the rattling like a loose lug nut in a hubcap.

Bob

Tried the hose-clamps and they worked great for about a year. The shields have degraded beyond that. The loose lug nut in a hubcap is exactly the comparison I needed. :favorites13:

Dizzydevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting setup its a lot different from the ZJ. Well once winter break from school starts I will start cracking on this job. While I am at it might as well service the rest of the cooling system.

Attachments

• HVAC box.JPG
    HVAC box.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 27

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey was wondering if some one can help me and this is probably asked over and over I have a 2003 jeep liberty 3.7l 4 wheel drive.. I was wondering if someone has step by step instructions with pictures on how to removal the dash and heater core... also is there a way to not mess around with the ac discharge etc ? ANy way around it ??? any help will greatly be appreciated .. I am mechanically inclined

What you are in for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmI-5mfYrsw

There is another one I couldn't find that showed 2 techs (older guy and a young woman) removing the dash, console and everything else in "fast forward". I believe they were going after the blend door and evaporator. Couldn't find it back.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The heater core is attached to the box (I think there's a couple clips) and pull straight up and out. I don't think that cutting a hole in the firewall would help. I don't think ou could pull it up and out, it mounts nice and snug it the hvac box.

Dizzydevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The heater core is attached to the box (I think there's a couple clips) and pull straight up and out. I don't think that cutting a hole in the firewall would help. I don't think ou could pull it up and out, it mounts nice and snug it the hvac box.

yea it was wishful thinking just gonna do it the old fashioned way . I got the new core it is a lot bigger than I thought it would be so it will be a a learning experience for my me and my son to do but it will be fun. I will tackle the job over the holiday break from school hopefully.

hotelmode

Reaction score
What you are in for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmI-5mfYrsw

There is another one I couldn't find that showed 2 techs (older guy and a young woman) removing the dash, console and everything else in "fast forward". I believe they were going after the blend door and evaporator. Couldn't find it back.

They aren't working on a Liberty in that video but it's similar. It's done by Cooper Lake Automotive in Smyrna, GA. They screwed things up while working on my liberty multiple times. Once as I left the shop coolant flowed into the oil causing yellow stuff to blow out into the air box, stalling the engine. Had to tow it back to them. Another time my AC didn't work after they worked on it. Another time after they replaced the power steering hose (HP), all of the fluid drained out as I was driving down the road, so I lost power steering.

Really ridiculous. They have a good reputation somehow... I just wonder what they screwed up in that YouTube video, there must be something!

Latest posts

Members online