Heater blend door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 Liberty , I have very little heat & have read about blend door problems . I removed the glove box & using a hole saw made a hole in a flat spot on the heater case . I can see the blend door through this hole .
From full cold to full hot the blend door only moves maybe 1/2 inch , same from hot to cold . I also have an 05 Liberty so I made a hole in the heater case on it .The blend door on the 05 moves much more in both directions . Through the holes I made I can also see the hump on the case that the rubber strip on the blend door is supposed to seal against in the hot position .
On the 05 the blend door turns until it seals against this hump . On the 02 the blend door stops at least an inch before hitting the hump . This leaves the blend door in about the same position as the 05's blend door when the 05's control is set in the center between hot & cold .
The 02's blend door actuator doesn't make any funny noises or act like it's trying to turn farther & can't . It just turns a little bit each way & stops when I turn the control knob back & forth . Anyone else ever have this problem or know what the problem likely is ?

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 Liberty , I have very little heat & have read about blend door problems . I removed the glove box & using a hole saw made a hole in a flat spot on the heater case . I can see the blend door through this hole .
From full cold to full hot the blend door only moves maybe 1/2 inch , same from hot to cold . I also have an 05 Liberty so I made a hole in the heater case on it .The blend door on the 05 moves much more in both directions . Through the holes I made I can also see the hump on the case that the rubber strip on the blend door is supposed to seal against in the hot position .
On the 05 the blend door turns until it seals against this hump . On the 02 the blend door stops at least an inch before hitting the hump . This leaves the blend door in about the same position as the 05's blend door when the 05's control is set in the center between hot & cold .
The 02's blend door actuator doesn't make any funny noises or act like it's trying to turn farther & can't . It just turns a little bit each way & stops when I turn the control knob back & forth . Anyone else ever have this problem or know what the problem likely is ?
Try to calibrate it turn knob to 12 o clock position . Key on within 10 seconds of ignition on turn knob to full cold turn full hot thorn full cold then full hot then full cold again. With a total of 5 sweeps. Make sure the pause between each sweep is no greater than 1.5 seconds then start jeep

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried that once before , I read today that this only worked on KJ's built after November of 02 thru 04 models .

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried that once before , I read today that this only worked on KJ's built after November of 02 thru 04 models .
Alright well try this. Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and try again. If not, the blend door or hvac module is toast. It is possible to get the blend door put without removing the dash. As far as I know, I'm the only one that's done it you need a dremel with a long bit. Remove the radio and cut the plastic on the side next to the blend door. Remove as much as you can. Use a long dremel or drill with a long bit to drill a hole through the back screw ( not the screw the plastic part around it) all others you can get out. I used a Bosch bit set and got the two front screws out. The set has a small..very small ratchet that you can put bits on. Hope this helps. A lot easier than removing the dash. Wish I could take pictures but I sold the jeep

Also, you can test the blend door. Get a battery and get some leads and put them on the pins..see if it moves like it should.
Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk