Heated side view mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,

How hard is is to retro-fit heated side view mirrors?
Is the heating element already affixed to the back of the mirror panel or is it a peel and stick unit that you fit yourself to a replacement mirror panel?
I understand that they turn on when the rear defrost is turned on. Is the wiring already in the side view mirror housing?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ry'

Last edited:

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pop your door panel off, see if you have wiring harness behind there. if you do, which you may, you just need to get the heated mirrors.

it is not just an element, you have to buy the whole new mirror, including the new housing.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not well edumacated here....were heated mirrors an option for US domestic Liberties? I have power mirrors, so does this mean the "wiring" you speak of is there? If so, I think I may be watching for a set of these because it'd be darn useful at times!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'm not well edumacated here....were heated mirrors an option for US domestic Liberties? I have power mirrors, so does this mean the "wiring" you speak of is there? If so, I think I may be watching for a set of these because it'd be darn useful at times!

Yes, it was an option. I'm not sure if it was ever standard on a specific model however.

and for future reference: There were no mirror changes from '02-'07.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
08s will tell you who the most beautiful of all in the world is...
mirror mirror on the jeep.. :D

Hyed........That only works if you are a Blonde Tinkerbell and have a nickel bag of magic dust....:D

Dave

HIM_Tattoos

Reaction score
I was thinking this exact same thing on the way to work this morning, sorry I'm not anymore help.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know much about what has them and if it was standard or not but our KJ has them and we love them
They even help in the rain ,keeps the mirrors dry

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do they have the "defrost" symbol engraved in the glass? It'd make it easy to spot them in a junkyard.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Socks.....I tried looking it up.....the heated mirror has a heating element (wires) built into it. So I guess you would have to change the mirror. If this is the case, it must come with a harness and connector attached to it. I guess you would need to take a door panel off and see what the wireing looks like and if there is a connector hanging there with nothing connected to it. The heated mirror has a little heat symbol on the bottom side closest to the door so it is a different mirror.

Couldn't find any more info. lf you check with a dealer to see what the replacement looks like, they should have a complete description and know if the mirror comes with a harness and can be just plugged in and work.

Sorry I can't be any better help.

Dave

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The connector should have the wires for heat, 2 wires, the mirror if not heated will not have any connection to the 2 wires, but there is not a separate connection for the heat function,

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering - so, the vehicle only has 1 standard harness going to the mirror? In the case of a non-heated mirror, the heating element wires just have nothing to connect to in the mirror?

This would mean that any KJ with power mirrors (did any come without?) would be plug and play for heated mirrors?

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering - so, the vehicle only has 1 standard harness going to the mirror? In the case of a non-heated mirror, the heating element wires just have nothing to connect to in the mirror?

This would mean that any KJ with power mirrors (did any come without?) would be plug and play for heated mirrors?

That will be great if that is the case I might even find a pair to install on my 05.

Atrus let me know if you find out that they wires are there and that it is just plug and play.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
That sounds to easy to be true!
I'll have to pull the door panel this weekend and hopefully find a small wiring harness just waiting to be plugged in to a heated mirror.

I have another question if you folks don't mind!
I figure it is easier to ask first before I f#$k something first.
Jeniffer and I are still unfamiliar with Jeeps so all the help we get is greatly appreciated.

How do you pop the door panel off?

Thanks in advance.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you pop the door panel off?

Thanks in advance.

you can get a pin puller tool to remove the plastic pins that hold the panel on.

the easiest way, put your fingers on the top of the panel, up by the window, pull away, gently, but forcefully, you will feel the plastic pins pop out. work your way around the door.

before you do that, I think there are a couple screws that need to be unscrewed, one is in the door handle behind a little piece of plastic, maybe another in the little armrest type handle thing. also look on the side by the door jam.

its not hard, good luck. and if you break some of the plastic screws/pins, yo ucan buy more at the dealer or parts store.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds to easy to be true!
I'll have to pull the door panel this weekend and hopefully find a small wiring harness just waiting to be plugged in to a heated mirror.

I'm not sure if you'd find the "small" harness. I know NOTHING about this, as I haven't had the door panel off at all. My assumption is it's all one plug. So, if you have power mirrors (I think all KJ's do?), then you may not see another plug. This is what Gentlemen is saying too. You'll have to get a wiring diagram or test the existing plug's pins to see if there is a provision for the heating element (i.e., current across two of them, or one to ground when rear defrost is on).

I have the 2006 service manual, so maybe I'll take a gander tonight and see what it shows.