Headlights click off and on while driving at night.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brehmel62

Reaction score
2002 Jeep Liberty, 3.7L, 4WD

I would check the low beam relay, but I can't find it. The junction block on the driver's side instrument panel only has one relay for the high beam (and an empty socket for daytime running lights). The junction block under the hood on the driver's side doesn't have that listed. Neither of the junction blocks look like Figure 39 in the Haynes manual.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have tou checked fuses inside? Maybe Find a wiring diagram and start tracing wires around.

brehmel62

Reaction score
Have tou checked fuses inside? Maybe Find a wiring diagram and start tracing wires around.

I've never heard of an intermittent fuse. These are just solid metal wires rather than something like a circuit breaker would could have intermittent contact if it was defective.

brehmel62

Reaction score
Mine did this a few times, rather alarming situation. I replaced the multifunction switches and its not done it in 10 years.

So, you're thinking that it's the switch on the steering column lever? A worn switch might have intermittent contact and allow the relay to drop? There probably isn't a way to test that other than replacement.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, the BCM controls the relay, and the switch tells the BCM what to do. But yes, I guess my switch was going bad and was messing with the BCM.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of an intermittent fuse. These are just solid metal wires rather than something like a circuit breaker would could have intermittent contact if it was defective.
You are absolutely correct and highly unlikely a fuse would fail but still occasionally make contact, but I've seen only once before. Plus the contact where fuse plugs in could have corrosion or a loose fit. It's an easy check to rule it out.

modeladdict74

Reaction score
2002 Jeep Liberty, 3.7L, 4WD

I would check the low beam relay, but I can't find it. The junction block on the driver's side instrument panel only has one relay for the high beam (and an empty socket for daytime running lights). The junction block under the hood on the driver's side doesn't have that listed. Neither of the junction blocks look like Figure 39 in the Haynes manual.

There's silver relays on the back side of fuse box, the panel under steering column pulls out and down, using a flashlight you'll see the relays, silver... How my 2003 is, remember to look left