HeadLight Question/Random thought?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going to do anything with the headlights, get two new housings, and if you want HIDS, aim those dang things down so you don't blind people. They already spread enough I would know I have them. I aimed those down and got projector fog lights to replace the stock ones. Sharp cut off line and a nice spread. Want bright, get fog lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an AWESOME community but it is not a huge community. The majority of people who buy a KJ will never mod it or even come on a forum. But the guys that are here know what they're talking about.

I agree to an extent
A lot of people mod their KJs and I'm sure what he's wanting has been attempted before
But, if it was such a great mod then more people would have done it
It's just not a mod that's worth doing without some extensive modification
He wanted to do it for little to no modification and it's just not possible

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree to an extent
A lot of people mod their KJs and I'm sure what he's wanting has been attempted before
But, if it was such a great mod then more people would have done it
It's just not a mod that's worth doing without some extensive modification
He wanted to do it for little to no modification and it's just not possible

I guess I meant in comparison to, for example, a Honda civic forum where you ask about headlight options and you have a big selection and lots of opinions.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I meant in comparison to, for example, a Honda civic forum where you ask about headlight options and you have a big selection and lots of opinions.

Us KJ owners don't have any options unfortunately. It's either buy the premade projectors online for 500$ or do it yourself and hope for the best. Kinda ***** IMO. I bought two new replacement fog lights that bolt right into the factory spot (same shape same size) they are halo and projectors and they look nice. If only we had more options for headlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I get a number of catalogs where I occasionally see KJ stuff. When you look at the mountains of options for Wrangler's, etc., it boggles the mind.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I get a number of catalogs where I occasionally see KJ stuff. When you look at the mountains of options for Wrangler's, etc., it boggles the mind.

AND that is the biggest reason I own a KJ:icon_razz:
Too easy to throw down a credit card and have a 4X4 Shop "throw up" all over your JK .

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I see your point. On the other hand, if there were more than two lift kits worth buying it might drive the price down a little. :gr_grin:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see your point. On the other hand, if there were more than two lift kits worth buying it might drive the price down a little. :gr_grin:

Without a doubt
You can get a good lift for a JK for about $300-$400
But, it's nice to be different
I just wish our lift kits were more affordable for people that aren't wanting to dish out almost $1,000 or more
I have no regrets on buying my lift but it'd still be nice to have more quality options instead of Rusty's, Skyjacker, etc. that mislead people into thinking they're getting a good lift kit for less money when it's not the case at all

Last edited:

d3m0nss

Reaction score
i got bored and had some left over money this paycheck so i decided what hell i'll try it i already had some old headlight housing in the garrage (lense need buffed) this is what i threw together after 30mins of fiddiling around with diffrent ideas

i still need do the 2nd light but i need go out and buy some more epoxy before i start

Attachments

• kj.jpg
    kj.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful with those headlights though
I bought some LED projector lights and one of them would turn off/on because it got extremely hot, I couldn't even touch it
I think it was a safety mode
Especially since you have them now completely enclosed, you'll more than likely run into issues with them overheating
I don't know if you know this or not but LED headlights/bulbs get extremely hot and need to have the heat sink fins exposed because that's how the bulb(s) stays cool
You've compromised the heat sink from getting any air and also the heat will now be trapped in the KJ housing and could melt it
It's a good idea but there's just no way you're going to be able to get air into the housing without having a huge hole in the back of it
The ONLY thing I could even think of you being able to do is putting a little 12v fan on the back and have it constantly blowing on each headlight
Just a hassle of you ask me

d3m0nss

Reaction score
im worried about heat to some extent but there are a few enclosed motorcycle housings that use there as well and seem to have no issue with them..noneless i'll keep a close eye on them
worse comes to worse i can add a micro fan or 2 that i have, they're about size of a quarter and easily fit behind the lights in the housing simply and slpice into the headlight low beam so it'd turn on with the lights

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are these quarter-sized fans you speak of?
I'm looking for fans with that footprint as well for a different application.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are these quarter-sized fans you speak of?
I'm looking for fans with that footprint as well for a different application.

You can find them online, I just found one that's 1" wide and about 1/4" thick for $1.85 on Amazon
If you have stores around you that are kind of like Radio-Shack they'll have them (Hobby Shop maybe)
I've had small CPU fans about 2" wide so not as small but they shouldn't be too hard to find

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ew...

Is that BLUE sprite back there I see. Gross man.

And good job just trying the headlight thing. I think it looks funky and weird, but hey, give it a shot.

d3m0nss

Reaction score
Ew...

Is that BLUE sprite back there I see. Gross man.

And good job just trying the headlight thing. I think it looks funky and weird, but hey, give it a shot.

its Blueberry Fanta is sprite zero even sold in a blue bottle anymore?
...so far the wife loves the lights so it's kinda a to each their own kinda of thing..i personally like the funky looks she gets when ever she turns an the halo rings go amber since i wired it up that way, it throw's alotta people off quiet a few do double takes

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as long as you and her are happy with it then so be it
A lot of people do mods that others don't like but it's YOUR KJ so do whatever you'd like
We just didn't want to tell you that it'd be an easy task but if you got it to where it works then great!
Post some day/night shots with them on/off and whatever else is wired up to them so we can see the final product