HeadLight Question/Random thought?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

d3m0nss

Reaction score
i posted this question over on jeepfourm but the KJ section over there is rather quiet and hoping i get a response over here or atleast some insight...:help:

So i was looking around Ebay the other day when i randomly stumbled upon the realization that KJ headights are 7.5"-7" (i never botherd truly measuring them) but i think they are just a tad larger then a JK/CJ 7" headlight assembly and i've been meaning to clean or upgrade my wifes KJ headlight as they are cracked n hazy.. so my question is quite simple..does anyone know or think it's possible to install JK/CJ Led headlights onto an 06 KJ with lil effort and some minor tweaking..
the ebay sellers compatibility list say that it should work with use of mounting a bracket but outside of that are very unclear as to what would need to be done into order to make it work....has anyone tried this random idea before?
i have seen it done on a FJ cruiser but it was a majior hack job cobbled together into a working set

from the looks of it you only need the light's n brackets,plus a fews screws n possibly a drill i would think for mounting holes
1.the headlight bracket - http://www.ebay.com/itm/252323984475?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

2. the headlights - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-7-Inch-R...f8829f4:g:fxAAAOSwaZdXHxR8&vxp=mtr&rmvSB=true

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i posted this question over on jeepfourm but the KJ section over there is rather quiet and hoping i get a response over here or atleast some insight...:help:

So i was looking around Ebay the other day when i randomly stumbled upon the realization that KJ headights are 7.5"-7" (i never botherd truly measuring them) but i think they are just a tad larger then a JK/CJ 7" headlight assembly and i've been meaning to clean or upgrade my wifes KJ headlight as they are cracked n hazy.. so my question is quite simple..does anyone know or think it's possible to install JK/CJ Led headlights onto an 06 KJ with lil effort and some minor tweaking..
the ebay sellers compatibility list say that it should work with use of mounting a bracket but outside of that are very unclear as to what would need to be done into order to make it work....has anyone tried this random idea before?
i have seen it done on a FJ cruiser but it was a majior hack job cobbled together into a working set

from the looks of it you only need the light's n brackets,plus a fews screws n possibly a drill i would think for mounting holes
1.the headlight bracket - Pair Mounting Bracket for 7inch LED Headlight Round Ring Jeep Wrangler Harley | eBay

2. the headlights - 2X 7" inch Round 40W LED Halo Angle Eyes Headlight for Jeep Wrangler TJ LJ CJ JK | eBay

I would shy away from trying to install JK headlights
It'd be much more work than just throwing on a bracket
It wouldn't look good IMO to have 1/4"-1/2" gap between the housing and the grill holes, even if you had some type of bracket to go over the screws and cover the gap
To add, JKs take an H13 bulb so you'd have to re-wire your stock harness to be compatible with an H13 (ours are 9007) or buy a conversion kit
Also, if you've ever seen JK headlights, they have a very convex style lens and would more than likely just look weird on a KJ

Just too much work for such little gain to me
You can get a set of KJ housings for cheap on Amazon/eBay
Unbolt the old and throw in the new and be done

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of quiet over there? I answered ya over there
with about the same answer as you got here so far:gr_grin:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whichever reply suits you fancy, yes it'll work. Is it worth it? No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The replies you've gotten are the facts
We're trying to help you not waste time and money..
We aren't going to recommend you do something that would be way too much work than it's worth and in the end look bad
But, it's your money and your KJ so do what you want
Obviously it CAN be done, but it won't look good and you're going to have to do unnecessary mods just to have cheap LED headlights (if you're wanting what was linked in the first post)
Do what you want
If I were you I'd take people's advice and get new stock housings.. unless you're just wanting to hear what you want to hear like previously stated
If it looked good and wasn't a waste of time then I'm sure you'd see other people having them

You don't need 5-10 replies when everyone is going to say the same thing
You're wanting a 7" round headlight for a 7.25"-7.5" hole= ugly
Simple as that

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This is one of those things where someone asks if its easy? Simple answer is no
THEN also what some don't realize is most everyone with a KJ or KK is on here, LOSTJEEPs and JEEPFORUM
So asking on each site is basically a waste of time due to the same people reading it, thinking its been answered so why should I say anything , ya know?
If it was cheap, if it was easy , if it looked good, well then you would see 1000s of KJs out there running them modified with them
Not downing the OP, no way just saying............

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming
Chanel 66 with Rev. Mudd preaching the sins of making your KJ ugly .

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Now back to your regularly scheduled programming
Chanel 66 with Rev. Mudd preaching the sins of making your KJ ugly .
Kinda like this?
56781[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach
\
:gr_grin: :happy175:

Attachments

• Eyelashes.jpg
    Eyelashes.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 2

d3m0nss

Reaction score
Are you hoping for input until you hear what you want to hear?

i just like hearing others thoughts an opinions on ideas..im use to getting/reading a multitude of replies not just 1 or 2 for a random idea
clearly the idea is rather disliked from what i've read

the aftermarket for KJs n KK is rather small nitch compared to other Jeep Models and the lighting options are pretty much none existent outside of a few home fabed designes for flood/spot lights and the occasional retrofitted projector housing with hids thrown into them

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not disliked , just proven that its not going to work from guys with a lot of experience with these jeeps.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just like hearing others thoughts an opinions on ideas..im use to getting/reading a multitude of replies not just 1 or 2 for a random idea

the aftermarket for KJs n KK is rather small nitch compared to other Jeep Models and the lighting options are pretty much none existent outside of a few home fabed designes for flood/spot lights and the occasional retrofitted projector housing with hids thrown into them

There's quite a bit of stuff you can do to KJs
Obviously not as much as a JK because KJs weren't built to be like a JK
Some stuff they have for JKs are cool but most are unneeded and useless
There was just never enough interest in aftermarket headlights like the ones you want, so none were built
But if you want them that bad then go ahead
Nobody's going to stop you and who knows, maybe you could be the only one with them that look good
All we're saying is when you try putting something that's 1/2" smaller than the hole you're putting it in it doesn't look good

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

I don't see it as disliked at all, I think you're reading it wrong.
But its not an easy thing to do and you'd not only have to modify the mount, housing. light but also the grill to bet it to look right.
As far as the HIDs etc thrown in, that actually even a worse idea , the housing were made to throw light from a regular bulb,period

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
so my question is quite simple..does anyone know or think it's possible to install JK/CJ Led headlights onto an 06 KJ with lil effort and some minor tweaking..

]

See I keep going back to this one line right here , I keep running that through my mind and all I keep thinking is " with lil effort and some minor tweaking.."
So we have all answered , now prove us all wrong and show us that all it takes is a " lil effort and some minor tweaking.."
Go for the GOLD :gr_grin:

d3m0nss

Reaction score
I don't see it as disliked at all, I think you're reading it wrong.
But its not an easy thing to do and you'd not only have to modify the mount, housing. light but also the grill to bet it to look right.
As far as the HIDs etc thrown in, that actually even a worse idea , the housing were made to throw light from a regular bulb,period

HIDs in factory housing are junk and blind oncoming traffic thats why i mentioned it being retrofitted projector housing in them for the hids

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
HIDs in factory housing are junk and blind oncoming traffic thats why i mentioned it being retrofitted projector housing in them for the hids

Yes I know that , been here on the forums for years now , plus seen it done and personally wouldn't run those stupid looking retrofitted projectors either

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A projector retrofit and HID's would be your best bet. Its been done with success.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an AWESOME community but it is not a huge community. The majority of people who buy a KJ will never mod it or even come on a forum. But the guys that are here know what they're talking about.