Headers on 3.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would having headers decrease MPG? Outside the computer age I would say it would improve it. But I am noticing about 2MPG drop in city driving once I put them on. I am thinking the computer is mis-interpreting the increased flow and over compensating. What I am thinking is since headers flow better is the computer could be freaking out..

Last edited:

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JBA Headers. Shorties made for the 3.7L Liby.. A REAL PAIN to install... The driver side is near impossible.

Summit Racing still has them >> http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JBA-1930SJT/

You must be registered for see images attach

Sounds good.. I have Maganaflow Catback too. SO you think the computer could be freaking out a bit since they flow better than the stock manifold?

Last edited:

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dono about increased HP. I am not drag racing it or mudbogging. But my MPG's dropped about 2 MPG.. Thanks TJKJ.. You guys kept saying your truck needs tuneup.

I notice on the highway it climbs very quick in MPG's though.

What flash you recommend. I was thinking it was either a bad O2 Sensor or the Computer was not able to deal with the increased flow in and out of the engine.

They sound mean. But MPG dropped. And the price is rather pricey.. I guess I need to find the flash that works best for my setup..

Last edited:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SCT 9550 from hemifever, depending on the year (I have done this).

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04, What did it do for you? I couldnt find one for the 3.7 on the website. Do you have a link?

Thanks
Guy named Sean runs his own little operation called hemifever tuning. Tunes just about anything Mopar these days. He usually uses SCT or DSP to load custom tunes. He figured out that SCT supports certain p/n PCM's even if the vehicle isn't specifically listed. That's how he figured out to custom tune 3.7's. If you email him your PCM p/n, he can see if it is supported. If it is, you can either get 'canned' style tunes (like a Superchips) or straight custom with upgrades based on your data logs. I wasn't going nuts with the Liberty so I got a set of canned style (87 octane, 93 octane, 93 towing). When I throw that hotter cam in the Ram to with the headers that are going, in, I'll get custom tuning for that. If you intend to get custom cams, bigger injectors, change gears, upgrade torque converter, then you could probably put custom tuning to good use.

Kasmir Jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy named Sean runs his own little operation called hemifever tuning. Tunes just about anything Mopar these days. He usually uses SCT or DSP to load custom tunes. He figured out that SCT supports certain p/n PCM's even if the vehicle isn't specifically listed. That's how he figured out to custom tune 3.7's. If you email him your PCM p/n, he can see if it is supported. If it is, you can either get 'canned' style tunes (like a Superchips) or straight custom with upgrades based on your data logs. I wasn't going nuts with the Liberty so I got a set of canned style (87 octane, 93 octane, 93 towing). When I throw that hotter cam in the Ram to with the headers that are going, in, I'll get custom tuning for that. If you intend to get custom cams, bigger injectors, change gears, upgrade torque converter, then you could probably put custom tuning to good use.

Thanks for the reply. It gives me another option to b&G, which i have to send them my PCM.

Nascar-ta

Reaction score
Thanks Okuro_hubby for putting up this post. I was thinking of adding headers, hoping it would improve my gas mileage and performance. Now I am glad I looked at this site. I hope the people that try the computer flash chime in on the results.

Lee
04 Jeep liberty Limited
07 Dodge Plumb Crazy Charger Daytona
99 30th Trans Am Convertable
81 Nascar Recaro Trans Am

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been corrected here but Performance and MPG Improvement are two different things. You can improve performance but you can lose MPG.. I would say the Liby has more power, its peppier and has a deap growl now. I should get the BG chip next week. I have less than a week to get it installed before doing 1300 miles with it.

Kasmir Jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got an email back from HemiFever....

"I wish I had something tha would work. Dodge never released their 2003 part number listings so SCT has had to manually add the 2003 p/n's as they came across them in the field. They aren't doing any additional dodge work right now due to some big Ford project they have going on. You can contact the SCT support and see if they can give you a time frame on when it might be possible for SCT to provide any support for yours. It will be simple for them to do when/if they get authorization to spend on hour on it"

I just emailed SCT. Looks like a waiting game...