Has anyone tried to sell a Manual KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DiegoND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to sell my 2005 Liberty and it seems like everyone is afraid of a Manual transmission. Has anyone had any luck selling one?

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife passed on a beautiful low mileage Renegade because it was a stick shift. Most people nowadays and in the past 20 yera sor so just don't learn or don't want to be bothered to learn. Good luck with the sale.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm amazed now when I meet someone that doesn't know how to drive a manual but it seems to be a growing trend.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya can't sell them and even hard to give them away anymore

Just bring it up to my place and I'll give ya 3 grand for it

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Many dont want to be bothered with constantly pushing the clutch in.
This is a real pain when driving in town.
Many also see replacing the clutch plates,bearings and such as as an expensive repair, and simply turn to automatics because of it.

DiegoND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife passed on a beautiful low mileage Renegade because it was a stick shift. Most people nowadays and in the past 20 yera sor so just don't learn or don't want to be bothered to learn. Good luck with the sale.

I have it on consignment at a local dealership and many people stop to see it and then turn and run as soon as they see the manual ******

DiegoND

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm amazed now when I meet someone that doesn't know how to drive a manual but it seems to be a growing trend.

I specifically bought it due to being stick. I don't like automatics. I guess it makes it a theft deterrent since the thieves cant drive it to steal it.

dmblair78

Reaction score
It amazes me when ever someone rides in my liberty with the 6-speed. They look at the shifter like it just landed on earth yesterday. It amazes me the people I've met over the years that have never driven a manual. All 3 cars that my wife and I own are manuals..don't think we'll ever get an auto!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It amazes me when ever someone rides in my liberty with the 6-speed. They look at the shifter like it just landed on earth yesterday. It amazes me the people I've met over the years that have never driven a manual. All 3 cars that my wife and I own are manuals..don't think we'll ever get an auto!
Fun to drive when racing,not so fun when your in the rocks.many ******** Jeep guy's only want a manual but the wise ones have opted for auto's after seeing the major benifits offroad.The majority(if not all) offroad rock crawling events/races are dominated by auto's and even some all the competition runs a auto trans.

Many ******** manual Jeep fans claim ultra low crawl ratio's and laugh at the lame auto crawl ratio's but do not take into acount the 2.5:1 reduction the torque converter gives.Like my mechanical crawl ratio is 66:1,add the TC reduction and I'm at 165:1 crawl ratio which requires some deep gears in a manual trans(and diffs) to acheive.Plus the shock load is almost nothing when you have a auto trans,less breaking u-joints and axles.

chadrules

Reaction score
I think manuals are chosen by the few people who may have the skill to change the clutch themselves. We've always had a manual around, my wife prefers it over an auto. My wife even chose a 2.4 over the 3.7, she knows she'd go too fast if she could. Manufacturers selling in the US recognise the lack of desire to buy a manual, every see a Volvo with a 5 speed? I have, I owned it and it was hard as hell to find.

That being said, my truck is an auto, they didn't have a Hemi with a stick.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the last manual I drove was a 4.0 TJ. Manuals are fun except in traffic and most don't want them.. That said, if I was looking for a "sports car" I would prefer a stick but everything else including jeeps I prefer an auto trans.

I originally learned to drive on a standard. Seems like they are not in demand anymore.

Someone will buy it, just will take more time to sell.

Dave

ndz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love my 6 speed! in some places it makes wheeling more difficult but i feel like im actually DRIVING the vehicle instead of just sitting in it pressing go and stop. just one idiots opinion though :)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
It's interesting that in Holland it's the other way around.
Easier to sell a stick shift car then one with an auto ******!

In The Netherlands almost everybody drives a manual shift.
You even need to take a separate driving/road test and get
"Certified" (an automatic transmission endorsement on your
Drivers licence!) to prove that you know how to drive a motor
vehicle equipped with an automatic transmission!

Interestingly enough auto's also cost more for the road tax because
Dutch DMV claims that they are not as efficient and pollute more than
a manual shift vehicle!:shrug:

On a side note, you also need an additional "Special" endorsement
on your Drivers licence which proves that you know how and allows
you to pull a trailer behind your vehicle!:happy175:
Crazy Dutchmen!

Looking back to when we bought our Jeep, I'm glad our's is an automatic
as well!
It's physically difficult enough for me to drive it these day's.

Last edited:

bheiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I drive my KJ in the mountains, I wish I had a manual transmission. The constant up/down shifting, and the preference of the 45RLE to shift up wayyyy sooner than it should, even when climbing long grades, is a real annoyance. Other than that I'm happy with my KJ :).

Reneg8

Reaction score
@Ry&Jen,

You're only partly right about the situation in the Netherlands....

A normal Driver License (Class B) gives you the right to drive both a manual as an auto ****** even if you have never learned how to use an automatic gearbox. If you opted for auto only during your practice time you're only allowed to handle an automatic and this will be added to your Driver License.

Road tax is based on the weight of a vehicle over here. An auto ****** is heavier so the road tax is higher. Registration taxes are partly related to CO2 emissions and they are normally higher for a regular auto with TC.

The License for towing a trailer heavier than 750kgs (1650lbs) is required all over Europe (Class E).

Just some info from a "crazy Dutchman" :smoking:

Reneg8

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but if you need driving lessons to learn how to drive a auto trans you are a darwin award winner

"Here's your sign"

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TJ, I guess it was the other way round... In some countries ( as in UK, IIRC ) You need a special licence
if You DON'T want to learn how to drive a stick, as Reneg8 pointed out.

I Insist.. I'm so good at using sticks that I can almost tell which teeth are engaging in the gearbox :happy175:,
nonetheless I'd never ever go back to using one (been doing that more than 20 years)!!!