Growing Safety Concerns About Jeep Cherokees (and Liberties)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a tank?

Racing car fuel cells have this capability, but that would be impractical in large volume production, but sure, tanks can be made safe.

I think there is misinfo going on in the media about fuel tanks blowing up by puncturing. It takes a lot of ignition to blow up a tank of gas that does not have much oxygen to mix with. Not saying it can't happen, it's not that easy to do by a puncture - there is not enough of an ignition point. This is not something I lose sleep over. Also, despite the movies showing otherwise, if you throw a lit cigarette into a puddle of gas it'll fizzle out. However, a lit match will ignite the gas/air mixture above the puddle before it gets to the liquid and cause a pretty good explosion.

Corprin

Reaction score
The Pinto had an issue of ruptured fuel tanks that plagued its image. Sadly, the engineers that designed the thing called for a self sealing liner that the bean counters said would be too expensive to add to the car.

I am not very worried about my tank rupturing and my KJ bursting into flames. From experience spilled Diesel doesn't ignite very easily, and the force needed to do so causes much greater concern. Alas, I am not driving RTE Irish 5 times a week anymore.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Paul.

But at the end of the day people need to learn how to drive properly first
before they get their drivers licence, instead of licences being handed out
like prizes in the bottom of Cracker Jack box's!

x2..it's a priviledge not a right. btw, Cracker Jack prizes used to be really cool (showing my age).

motherto2

Reaction score
I've heard that skid plates might help. I'm finally purchasing the 06 Sport for my son today (yay!) and would like to install one. Can I get some suggestions?