Grinding noise in reverse while on throttle and letting out clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I'm starting out in reverse and giving it a little throttle I'm hearing a grinding noise as I'm letting the clutch out. Once the clutch is fully out there is no more noise. And if I get going in reverse using only the clutch I don't hear the noise. It's like crunchy gravely grinding. And only in those conditions

Anyone else had this?

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Successful diagnosis of low transmission oil.

I guess reverse is the first gear to get noisy. After I posted this originally I gradually started hearing noise in forward gears as well. Mostly when getting off the throttle at higher RPMs where the motor is no longer driving the trans but rather it is just seeing resistance from the wheels and drivetrain.

I was 250ml low, or a quarter of a quart.

Guess I have a leak on the front input shaft because the fluid comes from the clutch housing. I noticed a long time ago it was damp but never saw any drips. I guess its slowly getting worse.

The worst part is that 3 of the 6 bolts that hold on the front skid plate and the trans skid plate sheared off. So I got the skids off but I cant put them back on until i find time to drill them out. Wonderful.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Man that *****. Mine came right out today but that's because they're off every weekend to fix something. Lol.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that *****. Mine came right out today but that's because they're off every weekend to fix something. Lol.

Yea I dont think these had ever been off. The front one had a good dent in it too the two front mounting spots arent even square with each other anymore. I will have to smash it back into shape. 3 of the bolts came out very easily the other 3 sheared off maybe 1/4" below the head.

Now that I have the skids off I see why the front skid is a necessity for wheeling. Bummed I wont be able to do any off roading until I can drill them out but im relying on the jeep to help me move next week so Im happy I can do that now.