Got a friend in need

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so a friend/co-worker of mine is having some issues with his mothers '05 KJ. According to him, the head gaskets are gone at 258,000 miles. I can't say I'm totally surprised, but I also trust his opinion on these things and he takes very good care of his vehicles (His little Lexus suv he used to drive had 360,000 before he got his Trailblazer SS).

Our issue is, is that we don't typically dive into that kind of work and we're having a hard time finding someone competent enough to do it that we can trust, but we don't want to have to drive across state lines to get it road-worthy once again. :shrug:

So down to my question, is there anyone on here that can refer him to someone in the (preferably) eastern/mid-michigan area? We'll go as far as the metro-Detroit area to Saginaw to Lansing.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I know he'll be happy to see some responses, if no one can refer him somewhere... Well looks like I might be buying a parts vehicle.:Big Laugh:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best of luck with that!

Top of the Hill on Vienna off McKinley used to be decent, as did Oliver's Garage on Seymour and Frances. Neither myself nor my parents, who still live up there, have any recent dealings with either of them though.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As fragile as these little 3.7s seem, I wouldn't put any real money into a 260K engine.

Bob

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best of luck with that!

Top of the Hill on Vienna off McKinley used to be decent, as did Oliver's Garage on Seymour and Frances. Neither myself nor my parents, who still live up there, have any recent dealings with either of them though.

I know the owners of Top of the Hill, they came to my old Belle Tire I worked at for all of their alignments. I relay it to my buddy. Funny thing, Oliver's is only about two miles from me. Top of the Hill is under new ownership though, so who knows if they still employ the same techs or not. :shrug:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As fragile as these little 3.7s seem, I wouldn't put any real money into a 260K engine.

Bob

Yea, that's what I was saying to him. It's really going to depend on the cost vs the value of the vehicle now. Hell, hopefully he just says f*** it all and lets me start picking parts off it :icon_lol: I REALLY want the D30A out of it and the rear 8.25 also. Shit if I get a good enough deal I'll just buy the whole thing and let it sit in my back yard.