Good Deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATCincy

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase an expired lease Jeep Liberty, 2002 Well equipped, 3.7L 4WD, with 125K miles for 4500. Since I'm buying through our lease company, I have no opportunity to look at it (we have several thousand cars on the road at any given time). I know it's been maintained and i contacted the guy who drove it and he said no issues. Is this a good deal and worth the risk?

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase an expired lease Jeep Liberty, 2002 Well equipped, 3.7L 4WD, with 125K miles for 4500. Since I'm buying through our lease company, I have no opportunity to look at it (we have several thousand cars on the road at any given time). I know it's been maintained and i contacted the guy who drove it and he said no issues. Is this a good deal and worth the risk?

Maybe I'm being novice but how does it being from a lease company justify not being able to see the vehicle first. Also $4500 is a decent deal. I bought mine for $5700 with 122K.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum ATCincy.

Sounds like a good deal at face value from what you said....without actually being able to look/drive it.

Where is it, in another State or something?

Dave

ATCincy

Reaction score
Yes, it is in another state. The vehicles are turned in to local dealers when our new cars arrive and our employees get first crack at them before they go off to auction. Typically sold at NADA wholesale or somewhere around there.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a decent deal, although I would be nervous of getting a car without driving it first...
Although with an 02 your prelowered, (which won't really matter now that its sagging after the mileage) and it will have the 45RFE ****** and should a stock front skid!
What options does it have?

ATCincy

Reaction score
Best I can tell it has leather interior, 4X4, Dark Garnet in color, with light taupe interior, infinity stereo, quick order package 27G (whatever that is), 3.73 gears.
I think I'm going to buy it cause I know our 5k maintenance schedule and it will have all maintenance records on the carfax. I am going to try to call them to see if I can see it before purchase.

kskj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for it thats how I got mine at 74,000 miles four years ago. Except I got to drive 4 different ones. And drove this one for two weeks before I bought it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From working on many fleet vehicles I would run far and never look back as they are the most neglected vehicles on the road.Most never get any service besides a oil change(which in most cases is 10K+ miles) and brakes/tires but no spark plugs or other routine maintenance will be done.

kskj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From working on many fleet vehicles I would run far and never look back as they are the most neglected vehicles on the road.Most never get any service besides a oil change(which in most cases is 10K+ miles) and brakes/tires but no spark plugs or other routine maintenance will be done.

I must of found a good one then, I have put another 100,000 miles since I bought it.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

The 2004 Sport 3.7 ltr. we bought was also a lease return with 124000 KM on the clock and had full service and scheduled maintenance records.
Now at 214000 KM it is still going very strong!
We have NOT had any real major mechanical problems with our KJ.
It still has the factory original window regulators as well!

I am also a firm believer of following all scheduled maintenance procedures...
Our Rig will be going in next month for all new fluid flushes, (Rad, ******, brakes, diff lubes, transfer case, blinker fluid, etc. etc. etc.)

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must of found a good one then, I have put another 100,000 miles since I bought it.
You got lucky.

The 2004 Sport 3.7 ltr. we bought was also a lease return with 124000 KM on the clock and had full service and scheduled maintenance records.
Now at 214000 KM it is still going very strong!
We have NOT had any real major mechanical problems with our KJ.
It still has the factory original window regulators as well!

I am also a firm believer of following all scheduled maintenance procedures...
Our Rig will be going in next month for all new fluid flushes, (Rad, ******, brakes, diff lubes, transfer case, blinker fluid, etc. etc. etc.)
A lease return is not the same as a fleet vehicle.

kskj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But then again my daughter got a 02 out of the same sales fleet 3 months before I bought mine and she has put 60,000 miles on hers. And still running great. Had all the paper work on both of them. But like I said before I had a few to choose from so I picked out the the best of the bunch.

n3tninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's how I bought my 02' 4x4 limited and now have 162k with no major issues. Ours was through Network Fleet management and the maintenance was better with ours with full service being done instead of just oil changes. I bought my Libby and a Safari van both under the same fleet company and they both are great. I have another 1 ton van at work with over 300k now with no issues, so I guess our fleet company has done pretty good not to mention the van being built like a tank. :)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan has had incredible success with his KJ. At 128,000 miles and no engine or major component failures, I am hoping I could be so fortunate. (reg dino oil)
Even with the man tires and lift and put through it's off road places, have you had to do the wheel hubs/bearings yet Ryan?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Ryan has had incredible success with his KJ. At 128,000 miles and no engine or major component failures, I am hoping I could be so fortunate. (reg dino oil)
Even with the man tires and lift and put through it's off road places, have you had to do the wheel hubs/bearings yet Ryan?

Nope!
But our Rig is due for new brake rotors and pads this time around.
(I'm replacing them mid to end October. Pads still have plenty of meat on them
but one rotor is starting to warp again, so I'll replace the whole lot.)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My KJ was also a company car I think....granted, when I bought it had only 37k on it (a lot for being 2 years old at the time though), but knock on wood, it's been great!

ATCincy

Reaction score
Well I'm processing the paperwork now. Looks like it will need a windshield though. It is a limited with all the options listed from an earlier post. Never bought a used vehicle with this many miles before, but I am a do it your selfer with my most recent project a 1988 Mazda RX-7 Convertible.

Hopefully I won't get in over my head. Thanks for the feedback folks.