Going insane with charging system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I found out that the voltage regulator in the pc was bad. Looking on here I seen the external regulator mod so I figured I would do it just to get me by until I can get a new pc. So I installed it and everything went great. But the other morning I was driving to work and the radio shut off. Then I noticed that the headlights were so dim they were almost off. I kept driving trying to get to the next exit when Boom! the engine reved and the jeep slowed, exactly like down shifting. When it did that everything came back on. Lights bright radio on. I just don't know why the regulator would stop and restart like that. And when it starts why it puts so much strain on the motor to make it do that. I checked all grounds first and then the other connections, all is good. Sorry guys don't know much about electrical. Any help would be great.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What external regulator did you decide to use? I would recommend the ford F540XHD. Its the extra heavy duty ford external voltage regulator. I just switched from the junky auto parts store voltage regulator to the ford extra heavy duty. Another thing I recommend is to install a digital voltage meter.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you can fit a digital voltmeter plugged into the front aux power point or cigar lighter point as a temporary measure so you can see what is happening to the voltage when these funnies happen!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe its the other way around. Maybe the volts are dropping so low its causing the transmission to downshift.

Next time it happens, stop and rev the engine up some and see if it starts charging again.

Maybe theres something I dont know, but the alternator shouldnt make the engine rev up when it kicks back in.

nocTurNalX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely invest on the voltmeter so you can track it when it happens again (hope not).