GM to buy Chrysler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
how about daimler?
anyway, it was about time american manufacturers got together and challange asian and europeans makers, although they will not be able to shake them up that much..

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard that and I thought GM was broke and losing money?????

They're just talking about it.

I didn't like that Dr. Z character anyhow.

Should I go outside and glue a "bowtie" off of a Vette to my grill?

Just some thoughts.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eagle + Plymouth \:D/ hehehe

jimheem

Reaction score
Yea, but as I heard the related news story, Daimler wants to be rid of the Chrysler auto maker, not the whole group, due to failing sales. I think they would keep Jeep and Dodge. "Dr. Z" said that they would do whatever is best for both Chrysler and Daimler Chrysler, even if that meant cutting Chrysler loose.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think that they would sell the entire group, if it happens. Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep all share the same basics (engines, etc.). If anything, they could merge the best of the Chrysler and Dodge vehicles under one name. Chrysler has the 300 after all (which I have always thought was one of the coolest cars). =P~

But this could be just the Germans making a threat? Just a thought.... as wasn't it Daimler that was losing money and/or had quality control problems just several years ago?

P.S. That would be so weird to have the Chrysler group under GM! #-o

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jimheem said:
Yea, but as I heard the related news story, Daimler wants to be rid of the Chrysler auto maker, not the whole group, due to failing sales. I think they would keep Jeep and Dodge. "Dr. Z" said that they would do whatever is best for both Chrysler and Daimler Chrysler, even if that meant cutting Chrysler loose.
Believe me, they mean Chrysler GROUP. They would NEVER just dump Chrysler. It wouldn't make sense.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats so stupid. DC as a whole has been doing very well. They killed themselves with the employee pricing. They had to have known that wouldnt last forever. They kept trying to produce at that number, and now they are crying about it. And I see way more Chrysler products on the road than Benzes. Dr. Z must be way more of an idiot than the commericals show.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nissan was about to buy GM a few months ago, but it fell through. I'd be surprised if this happened either.

Cooperation between automakers has happened before. Mitsubishi & Chrysler for instance, and before Jeep transfer cases were made by New Process (NP) they were made by New Venture (NV). New Venture was a collaboration between Chrysler & GM, the NV-242 t-case not only came on Jeeps, but also H1 Hummers.

If Daimler sold Chrysler, I'd bet Dodge would go too. I do think they may keep Jeep though. Chrysler & Dodge have been together basically from the start, but Chrysler only obtained Jeep in the 1980's. Jeep has a sizable cult following, & Daimler could find that very attractive.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
desertkj said:
Thats so stupid. DC as a whole has been doing very well. They killed themselves with the employee pricing. They had to have known that wouldnt last forever. They kept trying to produce at that number, and now they are crying about it. And I see way more Chrysler products on the road than Benzes. Dr. Z must be way more of an idiot than the commericals show.

No No...

DC has been doing crappily for a while. Mercedes has been kept afloat by Chrysler for a few years now... The only reason why they turned a profit in 2005 was due to the sale of several subsidaries / divisions.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soon we'll have Jeep-Hummers...........................

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
In some ways, I wish this WOULD happen, and in some ways, I wish it wouldn't.

We all know if GM bought Chrysler, they'd only keep Jeep alive and kill Dodge and Chrysler. That would be a terrible blow to the auto industry and I just don't think it can take that kind of pressure. Heck, we're still trying to get over the loss of Plymouth.... which is the reason why CG has lost marketshare... Germans cannot manage an American automaker.

We have one of the last "Chryslers" with these Libertys. Darn.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Trodo said:
Would that include Jeep??

Chrysler GROUP = Chrysler + Dodge + Jeep.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will not buy a GM product. I'll either buy a 07 Wrangler 4 dr now if they're going to do it, or I'll go over to (gulp) Toyota or Nissan.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Trodo said:
Marlon_JBT said:
Trodo said:

I will not buy a GM product. I'll either buy a 07 Wrangler 4 dr now if they're going to do it, or I'll go over to (gulp) Toyota or Nissan.

Geez...

GM and Chrysler declined comment on the buyout. Which means that (right now), it ain't gonna happen. The media just needed something else to talk about! They made all of this up.

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard from a reliable Jeep Dealer that's VERY in the know about things that this is all media fabricated BS. Chrysler Group is NOT for sale, and the talks between GM and DCX were to come up with ways to start turning profits, since both of them are having trouble. Again, Chrysler Group is NOT for sale.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trodo said:
Marlon_JBT said:
Trodo said:

The General has some pretty good products out there and they get decent gas mileage too. I'm saying this from personal experience. I put 180,000 miles on a GMC truck/tow vehicle and it's still running fine and the original drive train too. Just do the routine maintenance. Got a Cutlass with 139,000 miles and it gets 28mpg highway and will roast the tires if I let it.

Dave