Getting a 2004 KJ

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by Slugger103, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Slugger103

Slugger103 New Member

My ex-wife is finally getting rid of OUR 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited and giving it back to me. It has 200K+ miles on it, needs a paint job, needs an oil leak fixed, needs a door seal replaced, needs new tires. But other than that she said it still runs ok. I decided to take it as I need a 4WD vehicle for my winter visits up to extreme northern NY & NH to visit family. To me at least, it's worth putting money into it instead of buying a new or used truck/SUV with 4WD. I really liked that KJ when I drove it.

My plans are to not only make it 100% road-worthy and reliable (which may include a rebuilt engine & tranny), but upgrade it with the following wish list:

ARB Bull bar front bumper with winch
    ARB air lockers front & rear
    Rockfather II lift
    Bigger tires with spacers installed for clearance
    Steel roof rails with a cargo basket. LED lights installed on the front of the basket
    K& N intake & filter
    Rocky Road Rock Sliders on each side

Suggestions? Comments?

LibertyTC likes this.
  2. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ahhh, where to start
    No mention of regearing which you will need with larger tires
    Forget spacers, just get wheels that have the right width and backspacing, like 7 inches wide and 4 inches of backspacing
    K&N filter is a backwards way to get anything, good paper filter in the stock box flows way better long term
    With a ARB and winch up front I would go with OME 790s in front, will hold up better ( speaking from experience )
    RRO sliders bend easily look good until you actually need them
    RRO Rockfather II , ah well I'll try and keep quiet but better ways to lift than using their parts

LibertyTC and Slugger103 like this.
  3. Slugger103

Slugger103 New Member

That's why I here...always open to suggestions. My ex-wife has had this vehicle since we bought it so it will be new to me and never modified before. I'll keep exploring the forum gathering info before any purchase.

4. tommudd

EX-WIFE giving you a KJ
    Most of my Ex-Wives just cost me money, never got anything from them ;)

5. Slugger103

Slugger103 New Member

:) I bought the KJ for her when we were married and we departed on good terms. Recently when she asked me to sign the title over (my name was still on it) I asked if I could have it instead of her unloading it and she said sure! So now I will have a 200K+ miles KJ as a project to fix & modify as a second vehicle for my snow trips up north. It worked out great!

tommudd likes this.
  6. tommudd

That's great
    I have one Ex like that, we even went on a two week vacation the day the judge granted our divorce
    But another kept my dog and my banjo, and then another forged my name on a title and got a 65 Buick Rivi all done and gone through
    So it's great you have a good relationship yet
    Lots you can do to a KJ but its not as easy as building a cookie cutter Wrangler where you just point to a part and pass over your credit card ;)

duderz7 likes this.
  7. duderz7

duderz7 Full Access Member

My first car was a '65 Buick Electra (same body i believe) sooo nice, still miss it.

8. Slugger103

Slugger103 New Member

The KJ came stock with 17" wheels & tires (235/65R17's) and the usual 3.73 gears. So now I'm looking at the OME suspension and will probably stick with the 17's I have now. I created a task list on what I need to do to the KJ.....$$$! But not too bad or over the tipping point that it isn't worth doing. I trailered it to SC a couple days ago and #1 on the task list is to stop the water leak(s) that are flooding the passenger side front & rear. Then look for & fix any rust under the carpet & then eventually new carpet & padding. The list goes on & on...

9. tommudd

Limiteds came stock with 17s, hate them, choice of god tires in bigger sizes is very limited
    my 05 came with 17s uuuugggghhh

10. Slugger103

Slugger103 New Member

Seeing how the PRIMARY purpose of this KJ will be for my winter trips to NY/NH/VT, I'll probably get something that is all-season but have a Severe Snow Service rating. Secondary purpose will be trail riding somewhere, so I'll have to try to balance what could possibly accommodate both....but snow is #1. And all-season instead of a winter tire because I do live in SC and that will be the location of most of it's mileage time.

I know I can't have it all, but will try to make the best of the entire situation.

11. JeepJeepster

JeepJeepster Full Access Member

Mine also came with the 235/65/17 tires and I remember not being able to find much that would fit. Seems like there was a decent selection of 245/65/17 options though. Been many years since Ive looked.

12. tommudd

Many tires out there now do both fairly well
    Goodyear Duratracs are great tires for example, ran a set for over 95,000 miles on the 04 in 265-75-16s, just keep them rotated well