Gearing up to change trans fluid...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not changed the trans fluid in a Liberty before. I had it changed when I lived in Houston (no access to a shop, nowhere to drain the fluid) at around 45k miles, and again at 102k miles after I moved to DFW area. Okay, so now I've got a place to drain the fluid, and have all the necessary tools to perform the procedure. I looked around in here and found out how to do it. It seems like a relatively simple procedure.

My questions are these:

1) Is it best to take it to a transmission shop to get the fluid flushed and replaced instead of doing it yourself ?? From my understanding, the transmission shop can drain all the fluids out, instead of just what's in the pan. Perhaps I misunderstand.... if so, please don't hesitate to correct me.

2) Is there a type of fluid that is better than others ?? From what I've read, some people say "as long as it's ATF +4, it'll work fine". Other people are more brand specific. What's the REAL skinny on this ??

3) Someone advised me that it's un-necessary to change the trans filter, as it's "just a screen, with no realistic way of clogging it". True, or false ??

Thanks fellers. I sho' appreciate this site !!

:cheers:

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True that a shop with proper equipment can do a flush which will be a more complete fluid replacement...depends on who you talk to whether that is a good idea or not. There is some belief that a full fluid flush and swap will mess with your electronics and then your transmission because the ECU controls the transmission based on historical data which gets blown to hell when you replace old oil with new. Sounds like BS to me. Personally, it comes down to whether you would rather do the work yourself or pay someone else to do it.
MOPAR approved ATF+4...doubt there is any significant difference as long as they are approved, but no doubt there will be varying opinions on that...go with what your gut says.
False on the filter question. Definitely change it. It can and does clog.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. As mmc said, opinions vary. Personally, I do a pan drop.
2. Any approved ATF+4 is fine. Here's the list right from Chrysler themselves:
http://www.centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html
3. If the filter was replaced at the last fluid change, it's fine. Otherwise, replace it. If you're unsure, it's cheap insurance to replace it.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Take it to the Dealer. They are the only one's that truly know how to do it correctly, and they have the proper machine and equipment. You will only get half the fluid by draining and filling.

2. If you want to see your ****** blow up put something in other than ATF+4

3.The dealer where I live said they don't change filters unless something is wrong AKA metal floating around.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also going to be doing my ****** fluid here soon, and will be going with the pan drop, and probably the filter change since its pretty easy and cheap.

Just curious should I get a filter from the local Jeep dealership or would a Autozone (Duralast) filter be fine to install?

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious should I get a filter from the local Jeep dealership or would a Autozone (Duralast) filter be fine to install?

I don't know anything about the AZ filters, but I use ATP trans filters from NAPA, and they are good quality.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used an autozone one, it seemed to be identical t the one that I pulled out. I would have zero concerns about using that one again.

Only problem I had was that they gave me the wrong filter the first time, so I found myself reinstalling the old, dirty one because I had no alternate transportation to go exchange filters.
Something in the AZ database associated the filters with the number of bolt holes on the pan...count your boltholes and ask them to verify the correct filter that way before leaving the store.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used an autozone one, it seemed to be identical t the one that I pulled out. I would have zero concerns about using that one again.

Only problem I had was that they gave me the wrong filter the first time, so I found myself reinstalling the old, dirty one because I had no alternate transportation to go exchange filters.
Something in the AZ database associated the filters with the number of bolt holes on the pan...count your boltholes and ask them to verify the correct filter that way before leaving the store.

The 42RLE has 13 pan bolts, the 45RFE has 15 pan bolts.

Bob

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Haha thanks for the heads up! Thats one reason why I tell people I can't live without 2+ cars :D

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used napa filters with good luck. if you are using RTV get the transmission specific kind... apparently on the 45rfe you dont want to use the gasket that some of the kits come with, just RTV. that is what i was told anyways (from people on here...)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it seems that everyone thinks all kjs have the 45rfe ******. Gotta tell them how to do their job and inform them it has the 42rle.

Ive used just the rtv and then rtv on both sides of the gasket and both times its seeped atf fluid in the exact same place. Not sure if something is wrong with the pan or what. It never drips, just has a hint of atf around the drivers side rear corner of the gasket/pan. Doesnt cause any issues so its been like that for 5 or so years. Adds to the several other leaks my kj has. :emotions34: