Gear Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put an indicator mark on the ring gear and spin the pinion side by hand.

Less than 4 full revolutions of the pinion side will be 3.73's and slightly over 4 will be 4.10's, a good way to confirm you got what you paid for.

(3.73 revolutions for those gears and 4.1 for that set of gears if not clear)

I don't know the tooth count for these gears, but beings two signs of 3.73 is leaning towards that, do the above to see what you ended up with.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 3.73 ring and pinion in the garage that I could go compare numbers to, but the above suggestion might be the best way to tell. I am pretty sure mine was stamped with the ratio on it, but that doesn't necessarily mean yours is.

RockinRam96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put an indicator mark on the ring gear and spin the pinion side by hand.

Less than 4 full revolutions of the pinion side will be 3.73's and slightly over 4 will be 4.10's, a good way to confirm you got what you paid for.

(3.73 revolutions for those gears and 4.1 for that set of gears if not clear)

I don't know the tooth count for these gears, but beings two signs of 3.73 is leaning towards that, do the above to see what you ended up with.
I don't know why I didn't think of doing this trick the other day, when I had them apart. I will try it out, but I am pretty certain I have 3.73s.

I called the junk yard that I bought these axles from. Spoke to the same salesman, he is looking for a set of 4.10s for me. Said he will figure it out and get me what I need.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw a 4 cyl KJ being sold on Craigslist for $700 for parts. That would have your 4.10’s. It’s in CT, which might be near you depending on where you are in NY.

Last edited:

RockinRam96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw a 4 cyl KJ being sold on Craigslist for $700 for parts. That would have your 4.10’s. It’s in CT, which might be near you depending on where you are in NY.

I don't know why I didn't think of doing this trick the other day, when I had them apart. I will try it out, but I am pretty certain I have 3.73s.

I called the junk yard that I bought these axles from. Spoke to the same salesman, he is looking for a set of 4.10s for me. Said he will figure it out and get me what I need.
I appreciate it. Too bad it has a mechanical lien on it.

RockinRam96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am on my 2nd set of axles from a junk yard that were supposed to be 4.10. Both sets i got ended up being 3.73, which are no use up me.

It’s a little disappointing, first I’m getting down to crunch time on a trip. And second, this last set looks great!

RockinRam96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and I have a set of diffs ( front and rear ) and no one seems to want LOL
Strange world isn't it
In 4.10? You're in Southeastern Ohio, correct? I do get out that way somewhat often. Lets talk.

Can you message on this forum? Send private messages. I'll give you my phone number to call or text.

Zach

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
In 4.10? You're in Southeastern Ohio, correct? I do get out that way somewhat often. Lets talk.

Can you message on this forum? Send private messages. I'll give you my phone number to call or text.

Zach
Click on tommudd's username and then "start conversation". To view answers or the whole conversation click on the envelope at the top of the screen.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Zach
Yes 4.10
Yes Southeastern Ohio
out in the woods LOL

Latest posts

Members online