Gear Ratio Chart for Different Tire Sizes...

Discussion in 'Tires / Wheels' started by Dave, Aug 22, 2011.

1. TwoBobsKJ

TwoBobsKJ Full Access Member

If you're out on the highway you want your Overdrive to be engaged - so don't push the button. When driving in the city - if you notice the engine "lugging" at around 40mph or so - push the button to turn the OD off. You should have an indicator on the dash that comes on when you turn off OD.

That 'flat spot' is the transmission trying to figure out if you really want to accelerate hard or if you're just tapping the throttle. Both trannnies the KJ came with (the 45RFE on your '02 and the 42RLE on later model years) are a little sluggish IMO when it comes to downshifting for hard acceleration; I'd prefer a faster downshift myself.

Bob

2. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

To add to Bobs answer
    I have 3 KJs ( 03-04-05) that anytime I am in town and under 45-50 the OD is OFF. Hit the highway and as it hits about 55-60 I kick the OD on and we go . Even some backroads where you are running 45-50 and twists/ turns/ hills I have the OD off. I find myself not even thinking about it and do it automatically when driving. I hate to lug any engine down and these like to have the revs a little higher anyways

3. profdlp

profdlp On The Ledge

...and just to cover all the bases, when towing, leave it off entirely.

4. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes!!!! , well unless running down I-77 last few miles of Va going into NC
    or Wolf Creek pass etc :happy175: