Gear Ratio Chart for Different Tire Sizes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is it better to push the Over drive button in every time you highway drive or pushing it in (on an Automatic) does that shut it off?..my 02 seems to have a stall/flat spot if you stomp on the Gas..anyone else?Thanks

If you're out on the highway you want your Overdrive to be engaged - so don't push the button. When driving in the city - if you notice the engine "lugging" at around 40mph or so - push the button to turn the OD off. You should have an indicator on the dash that comes on when you turn off OD.

That 'flat spot' is the transmission trying to figure out if you really want to accelerate hard or if you're just tapping the throttle. Both trannnies the KJ came with (the 45RFE on your '02 and the 42RLE on later model years) are a little sluggish IMO when it comes to downshifting for hard acceleration; I'd prefer a faster downshift myself.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
To add to Bobs answer
I have 3 KJs ( 03-04-05) that anytime I am in town and under 45-50 the OD is OFF. Hit the highway and as it hits about 55-60 I kick the OD on and we go . Even some backroads where you are running 45-50 and twists/ turns/ hills I have the OD off. I find myself not even thinking about it and do it automatically when driving. I hate to lug any engine down and these like to have the revs a little higher anyways

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...and just to cover all the bases, when towing, leave it off entirely.

Latest posts

Members online