gas mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesst

Reaction score
I am running 265/75/16 with a 3" lift and getting about 10 mpg...i was wondering how i could improve the gas mileage?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you can try changing spark plugs. It helped my mpg by about 2 mpg but when you change the plug make sure to get good ones. Another thing that may help is to make sure that your brakes are not dragging.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
General maintenance. Plugs, oil, etc etc... Major change you could do is regear to 4:10s.

gatortail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
something sounds wrong, I was running that tire but gas mileage dropped to 17-18. went back to 255/70/16 s back to 20-21.. check if motor light is on. or turn your key on and off 3 times to see if you pull a code up were your mileage is. if nothing there . like the others said tune up, map sensors, your multiple sensors in exhaust / cat area can make it run rich. that will burn a lot of fuel. but them tires alone should'nt give that mpg

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running 265/75/16 with a 3" lift and getting about 10 mpg...i was wondering how i could improve the gas mileage?
Normal city and slight city/highway mix if the speedo has not been corrected and your still running stock gearing.

No way your going to do much better then 16-17(if your lucky) pure highway with that combo and stock gears.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Year , mileage what all extras you have , mostly in town or all highway, things like that would help us know more what you have so we could answer better
But biggest improvements would be to regear, get the pinion reset done at the dealer . You're making the engine and transmission work way harder than the way they should. Engine is lugging all of the time, transmission is searching for the right gear, all contributes to lousy mileage. Start by regearing or going to a smaller tire size

jesst

Reaction score
2002 with 86000 on original engine. Runs smoothly, idles like you would never now it was on. Transmission shifts without any issues. It does need a tune up tho

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 with 86000 on original engine. Runs smoothly, idles like you would never now it was on. Transmission shifts without any issues. It does need a tune up tho

Need to regear like everyone said. 4.10/4.11 gears is the best you can do unless you replace the front diff with the JBA unit. You'll get better mileage, and save your ****** from an early death.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

This is the fuel mileage that I am getting with 255/70/16, I fully agree with what the others have said about your gears and over working the ****** and motor, but you should still be getting more than 10 mpg with what your running imo
Not with 265/75's that are at least load range D(if not E) and stock gears.You can't compare your 255/70's(P rated) against a LT tire almost 3" taller.Your 255's are about 1/2 taller at best then stock KJ sizes.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Also a lot depends on driving style. I've ridden with people who would lug an engine down so much that it cost them mileage. They thought by taking off very slowly and running at say 50 instead of 55 it was helping, when in fact the engine was lugging down too much. Mine if in town and on two lane backroads running 45-50 stays with the OD off, higher RPMs but better mileage.
Things like that can make a huge difference as well as larger / heavier tires. I get 19 or so on back roads 21 easy on the big roads. Maintenance , driving style, gearing all come into play

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now Troy how much does getting your speedo re-calibrated cost? Mine is like 3 miles off. I also get around 10-11 mpg with 3in of lift 245/75/16 e rated tires and I'm not exactly easy on the skinny pedal. Mine is also 90% city which is what I attribute it to.

EDIT: my fan clutch is also bad so my mechanical fan is spinning at engine speed so that has been r@pin my mpgs as well

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now Troy how much does getting your speedo re-calibrated cost? Mine is like 3 miles off. I also get around 10-11 mpg with 3in of lift 245/75/16 e rated tires and I'm not exactly easy on the skinny pedal. Mine is also 90% city which is what I attribute it to.

EDIT: my fan clutch is also bad so my mechanical fan is spinning at engine speed so that has been r@pin my mpgs as well
Depends on the dealership,some may charge $50 others may charge $100+.I got mine done for free but I'm good friends with the Dodge dealerships service manager back home.

Now a pinion re-set may not correct the actual speed reading it puts the speedo back into the range it left the factory at and where the PCM/TCM are programmed for.So let's say your speedo was 5mph off from the factory and adding larger tires it's now dead on(or real close) this will mess up the trans shifting due to the TCM being programmed with the speedo 5mph off in the 1st place.

No speedo is 100% accurate from the factory,up to 5mph off is the norm unless it's a police cruiser package then the speedo is certified 100% accurate.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you can try changing spark plugs. It helped my mpg by about 2 mpg but when you change the plug make sure to get good ones. Another thing that may help is to make sure that your brakes are not dragging.

not to thread hijack but im in albany as well (about 5 mins from the colonie center mall), if you ever need help with anything dont be afraid to ask.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the dealership,some may charge $50 others may charge $100+.I got mine done for free but I'm good friends with the Dodge dealerships service manager back home.

Now a pinion re-set may not correct the actual speed reading it puts the speedo back into the range it left the factory at and where the PCM/TCM are programmed for.So let's say your speedo was 5mph off from the factory and adding larger tires it's now dead on(or real close) this will mess up the trans shifting due to the TCM being programmed with the speedo 5mph off in the 1st place.

No speedo is 100% accurate from the factory,up to 5mph off is the norm unless it's a police cruiser package then the speedo is certified 100% accurate.

Ok so your saying since mine is only 3mph off I leave it alone?

jesst

Reaction score
I dont really now anything about cars, how do you fix a great problem? How much does it cost?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 10 mpg, something isn't right. With 265's I get 14 mpg combination driving. The only road trips I've taken, I was loaded with crap in the back, going through some hilly terrain, and averaging 85 mph. With that I got 17 mpg. No idea what more I'd get traveling light and on flatland.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty good idea what's wrong with mine. 245/75/16 e rateds with stock gearing, broken fan clutch causing the fan to spin at engine speed, and atleast 150lb+ of tools and gear in the cargo area

Latest posts

Members online