Gas filler splashing back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just stumbled across this thread. This happens on my 2005 Renegade and my wife told me it was just the way I was pumping gas. So I told her "OK, take my credit card and go fill er up! " One of the few time I heard "You are right, sorry."

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just stumbled across this thread. This happens on my 2005 Renegade and my wife told me it was just the way I was pumping gas. So I told her "OK, take my credit card and go fill er up! " One of the few time I heard "You are right, sorry."

I'm sure, somehow you're still wrong though! :happy175:

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally there! I have to remove the fuel tank and replace the module, but when I put everything back together I will insert the GM "flapper valve" into this hose. I found that my plastic inner fender was only held on by 3 plastic push-in single use tabs (see pic) into the frame behind the tire and only one actual rivet along the rear outer rim of the fender flare. Even when I had them out you really have to deform the plastic inner fender in order to remove it so it was plenty tight. I will probably use more rivets to install it since the holes are there (4 or 5) from the top of the fender towards the rear. The rivets towards the front of the fender flare aren't used to hold the inner fender so do not remove those. You can grab the inner fender and twist it to see which rivets are holding it. Maybe someone needed to remove it once before we owned it and didn't replace all rivets?

Attachments

• DSCN2686.jpg
    DSCN2686.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 20
  • plasticattach.jpg
    plasticattach.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While waiting for help with the fuel module install...decided to install the back splash preventer from GM. Cut the little valve out of the GM hose. Paying particular attention to the orientation of the valve, applied WD-40 to slick everything up and then pushed the valve just past the bend in the hose with the help of a 1/2" socket extension. Looked in to make sure it was still pointing correctly and then used the clamp that came with the GM hose to help hold it in place.

Attachments

• DSCN2704.jpg
    DSCN2704.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN2705.jpg
    DSCN2705.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 30

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I filled a half tank with gas cans after putting everything back in and no splash back... ;) OK, so the real test comes today when I take it to the station and fill the tank at full speed. At least I know I didn't put the GM device in backwards. I will report back...

Last edited:

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filled up by holding pump at full speed. It worked perfect!

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly the worst part of the entire installation was getting the darned hose off the gas tank. Other than that, simple enough to do, and works great!

yzo024

Reaction score
So i see im not the only one, but in my case, I cant even get 1/2 a gallon in before it spits on me. Mine is a 05 renegade, and didnt have a problem till i got rear ended. I guess m only fix will be replacing the tank. So my question is, did they "upgrade" the valve in the new tank? Thanks Jack

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i see im not the only one, but in my case, I cant even get 1/2 a gallon in before it spits on me. Mine is a 05 renegade, and didnt have a problem till i got rear ended. I guess m only fix will be replacing the tank. So my question is, did they "upgrade" the valve in the new tank? Thanks Jack

I think I would pull the inner fender (don't even have to remove the tire) and see if your hose got kinked. Might be an easy fix.

yzo024

Reaction score
Thats already in the works, Ill have it off as soon as these damn drivers stop delivering parts to the shop.