Gas filler splashing back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky. I think it is definitely that check valve at the tank sticking. Probably because of the ethanol additive in the gas affecting the rubberized valve. Lot of people experiencing it but for sure not everyone. Even saw where one person identified that it was stuck open when he removed the tank. He hit it and forced it closed again. Another person said his always burped gas back until he was in an accident and got hit right in front of the gas fill. When he got his rig back from the body shop it hasn't done it since. Either they replaced part of the filler or the impact knocked it loose. Tough way to get it fixed!
Mark

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Another person said his always burped gas back until he was in an accident and got hit right in front of the gas fill. When he got his rig back from the body shop it hasn't done it since. Either they replaced part of the filler or the impact knocked it loose. Tough way to get it fixed!
Mark

The way people drive around here I'd imagine it's just a matter of time before mine gets fixed, then. :blah:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I seriously slow down the pump when I get within 1-2 gals of where I think it will be full. Slow enough, the pump shuts off when it's supposed to.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this happen to me the first fill(s) after I bought the jeep. Ended up throwing a code (I don't know which). But I took it to the dealers shop and they dropped the tank and pretty much had to replace everything. Has been fine since.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I intend to look into this issue with my 05. My daughter drives it and it splashes back all the time. I can't bear the thought of a accident.... I was planning on looking at it this weekend but life got in the way (I did take her old rusted factory rock rails off though - anybody want them for free pickup?) I intend to order the GM hose this week and implant that valve into the Liberty hose later this week or next weekend. I will sure post results, good or bad.
Mark

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did take her old rusted factory rock rails off though - anybody want them for free pickup?
Mark

Darn, I'd take you up on that but probably not running up that way until next spring. I do alot of traveling up the thruway.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darn, I'd take you up on that but probably not running up that way until next spring. I do alot of traveling up the thruway.

Where are you? I have a set in my yard, too.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Looks like you can get a pair in Maryland and also a pair here in Mahopac, NY. Seriously, I will hide them out in the shop here forever in case someone wants them. Comes with all 16 bolts as well.
Mark

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't come with the bolts; I bought a set of almost unused rails on Craigslist and reused the bolts.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it better with them off. It gave me a virtual 2" lift (if ya don't look at the wheel wells).
Mark

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't come with the bolts; I bought a set of almost unused rails on Craigslist and reused the bolts.

I guess your new ones were better than the factory ones. I have those useless factory nerf bars on mine and they aren't looking so great these days. I only use them when cleaning the roof so I keep thinking of just taking them off.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
This is why I seriously slow down the pump when I get within 1-2 gals of where I think it will be full. Slow enough, the pump shuts off when it's supposed to.

That's what gets me. In the last year and a half since I bought it I have gotten to be pretty good at guesstimating how many gallons I'll need to fill it up. I do the same thing you do about slowing down and it helps a little, but mainly because I never quite get it full. I even tried going full steam ahead thinking maybe an abrupt rise in back pressure might help kick the pump off and while it occasionally works the overall percentage of backsplash stays about the same.

I will say that if this is the worst problem I ever have with it I will consider myself very lucky. :)

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would curious to see how some of these fixes work. Mine has done this for years and I just let it "pee" out on the pavement