Funny noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a new-to-me 2002 Liberty Sport. I am hearing this odd noise and want to see if someone may have some ideas as to what to check. It happens when I come to a complete stop, usually rather abruptly, but sometimes doesn't have to be abrupt. The sound reminds me of driving a truck with something in the bed and coming to a stop and it slides and hits the front of the bed. Its a sliding noise, then kind of a thud. Sounds like it may have something to do with the brakes, but the brakes appear to be fine. Great stopping power, no weird noises directly attributable to the brakes. I know I need shocks, as when I hit a bump I can hear a thud in that wheel, but not sure what the sliding noise could be. Details: 2002 Jeep Liberty 4x4, automatic, 3.7L, 134,000 miles. I know I probably won't be able to solve it with the info I get here but I hope to get some ideas of places to look.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May sound kind of redundant but do you have anything in the cargo area?

LOL. Was almost waiting for that. Nothing in the cargo area. Even kinda wondered if the seat may be a tiny bit loose and may be moving. Not sure. Lets get some ideas flowing.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
junk in center console or glove box? Both of those drove me nuts for about a week. CD case was a thin one that would tick every time I hid the brakes.

Also check jack under back seats to make sure its not flopping around in the cavity.

other option is loose hitch in receiver.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the jack under the passenger seat tightly secured?

Could it be something inside a body panel, like a clip or bolt...or does it sound like something larger and heavier?

Crossbar on the roof rails?

Find an empty parking lot and try braking in reverse, see if the noise is still there

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to my truck example... sounds like a heavy box in the bed of a truck sliding into the front of the bed. Thats the best way to describe it. Doesn't sound metallica, but kinda muted like, well, a box. But its almost like I can feel a very, very slight bump in the brake pedal when I hear it. Almost like its related to an issue in the brakes. I am befuddled. may have to get someone else to drive it while I ride in the back. maybe I can get a better read on it

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What rear ends do you have may need to change the fluid specially on a track lock and I would Check all u joints and CV joints. Also tri link ball joint and Check all bushings. Hope this helps on what to start checking after it's been sittng for a long time.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely removed the jack (which was properly secured) to see if that may be the answer to my woes. I am right back where I started. Feels almost like something with the brakes. Guess I will head out to the walmart parking lot late one night and put my stepson in the back and drive it around and see if he can pinpoint it.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible the sound you are hearing is air "hissing"? Maybe check the vacuum line where it connects to the brake booster...

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a hiss. It sounds exactly as I described. Its almost like the brakes are stopping me, but right at the last second, the rears are releasing or slipping then grabbing again or something.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a hiss. It sounds exactly as I described. Its almost like the brakes are stopping me, but right at the last second, the rears are releasing or slipping then grabbing again or something.

I'm wondering if maybe the lower control arm bushings are shot - or maybe the ball joint in the tri-link.

When you accelerate does the Jeep "jump" to the side? That's one of the primary symptoms of bad bushings in the LCA's.

Bob

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to have it in the shop shortly anyway. I will have it checked. Suddenly started overheating and the heater went out. I replaced the thermostat and made sure there was no air in the system. I drove it today and it didn't overheat (tho 2 days ago, it didn't start till I had driven almost 30 miles) but the heat still isn't hot but more lukewarm. I just bought the thing about a week ago and already have to have it in the shop, but at least I got the warranty on it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing that you have totally left out is the fact that the suspension is shot. In the tire/wheel section thread you've stated that its sagged so my first suggestions would be to start checking out the suspension, i.e. shocks/springs etc
I know they are sagging and I can feel the thud/bump when I hit a pothole so I figure they are worn out anyway.
I had a guy come here with noises somewhere under his, he couldn't find what it was . Ten minutes after pulling in we find both rear shocks are blown, left side is bent, springs are so sagged that bumpstops have been beat to he**.
Replaced springs and shocks= no more noise
So again start checking all of that out first including the rear tri-link etc

Last edited:

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tomm, you are correct. My apologies, It was an oversight. I overlooked it because my line of thinking was that it was possibly related to a braking issue. As I said, its gonna be in the shop in the next few days so I will have it checked at that time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No apologizes , just a thought since I know with a weak/sagged /old suspension you get a lot of noises, and some strange handling/ driving
So since you know thats an issue I would start there checking everything over. You may see where something has been rubbing/catching or ????????

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats is all on hold for now anyway. Overheating, slight miss at cold startup, puffing white smoke at startup, cold heater. Looks like I am doing a head gasket set first. Give me a chance to freshen up the engine anyway.

Members online