Front suspension combination questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so my stock struts are shot, and its time for an upgrade. I got OME 925 1.5in light duty coils, Rancho RSX17505 struts to replace the old and worn parts. Right now it has a daystar 2.5 lift on 02 coils. I want to use the daystar kit with the new stuff i got. I have no problems cutting the front spacers down to make them smaller to work properly. I want to stick with the stock a arms for now but im wondering how much i should cut off the front spacer and what you guys thought. Im sticking with stock coils and and durango shocks in the back with the daystar spacer. anyy thoughts would be cool, i also have no problem putting some more spacer in later after it sags to where it will sit

cliff notes
1-How much lift can i do on stock a arms
2- how much should i cut the daystar front spacers to get full 2.5 of lift
3- which strut plate should i use daystar or stocker

Last edited:

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Even at 2.5" lift, some guys have issues with UCA.

If you use the Daystar 2.5" spacer, then yes use the Daystar upper strut plates.

I'm not sure you can get that spacer in there with the coils...I would just do the coils and do a 3/8 clevis lift and see where that puts you at.

Measure the Daystar spacer height on the high and low sides.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think i will be able to get the whole spacer in there, but i can cut it down to 1" or 1.5" or 2.0" whatever i need. that wont be hard i just want the same height i have now and i know the 1.5 light duty OME wont be that. I was thinking about throwing in little over an inch probably 1.25 of daystar with OME 1.5 i think will be perfect and allow for sag

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was considering doing the same thing. But I decided to stay with the stock coils with the Daystar spacer.

But... I don't know if anyone really knows what lift the OME Light springs will really give you. If you look at the OME site, they say all 3 of the KJ front springs give you 1.5" lift. I know it is more work, but I would suggest just putting the OME springs on with the stock upper and lower rubber isolator on the front. You could use the Daystar top plate, or the stock top plate. Your choice. The Daystar top plate will give you more droop if you use it. Anyway, run it that way for a couple days and measure to see where it settles. Then you will be able to tell how much to cut off of the Daystar pucks. You may find you don't even need them.

Let us know how it all works.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figure ill cut it in increments of .5 so that i can have .5 spacers to adjust the height later on. Ya not a fan of taking the whole strut apart more then once but ive done it many times already so i guess it wont be to bad. One thing i think about is the springs i had in there are .5 taller then normal springs so it will be interesting how this turns out

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the parts are all here lets see whats going to work, im going to start with 1 inch of daystar with OME and Ranchos
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i got it all apart and the springs only look maybe an inch taller then my 02 coils so ill toss them in and see what happens

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya im doing it now im compressing it within an inch of its life but i think i can get it in there

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Do absolutely not use the stocker plates in combo with the daystar pucks! I ran that for about 8 months and hated it. It will overcompress the coils and you will have rock hard suspension up front. Don't do it.

Ok, as I see it, the Daystar upper strut plates only serves one function....lowering the shock mount point so the shock goes back to it's original travel range. I have a set in the back seat waiting for a Daystar puck to fit in under my springs. Am I right or wrong here in this thinking?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
well i got it all apart and the springs only look maybe an inch taller then my 02 coils so ill toss them in and see what happens
length of spring means nothing its the lbs per square inch and the thickness of the wire that gives you lift

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got it all in. There was a lot more sag in the old setup, not to much play in this setup i havnt put tires on so no pictures and no definite answers on how this setup is. Next time i start a project someone please remind me how much i hate spring compressors and lower clevis bolts

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove it to work today. Im hoping it will sag down a half inch or inch then it would be perfect, that A arm is workable but pretty darn tight. Im at work now but ill take pics when i get home. I need a little more lift in the back but not to much maybe another half inch

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive it over a couple of speedbumps :D

It will sag a little once it's broken in. For the rear you could add another upper isolator. Or 2.

Now where are those pics? :p

ya right now it has the stock isolators and daystar pucks on 02 coils. Do i have anything to worry about in adding more isolators, or is it just time for a new spring?

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic from work, not the best but should hold yall over till tonight. Im running durango shocks in the rear