Front Sturt Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DocHemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK lets see if any of you guys have an Idea...

Started getting a noise like something was lose in the left front the other day.

Come to find out that the strut rod at the top seems to be broke or lose.

all i can see from under sie is that the rod is indeed moving up and down at the top.

Not sure if the nut came lose or completely off....

Was thinking of cutting a small hole above the area to try and access the bolt area...anyone think thats a bad isea.

Want to try and avoid having the strut come apart when im trying to take it out and replace it, but if that nut came off all the way, I'm gonna have a big problem
:weld:

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Left side being drivers side? If so all you need to do is remove thw battery and tray and you will have access to the strut mount

DocHemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Left side being drivers side? If so all you need to do is remove thw battery and tray and you will have access to the strut mount

Well YES and NO....

Once the battery is out you do have access to the strut mount bolts (4 that secure to the body).

What i need access to is the top strut nut that holds the strut plate, spring, and assembly together....this is what is suspect of coming lose.

They only way to see it installed in the vehicle is to cut a hole in the appropriate place.

There is a small unused hole about 1/4" just behind the hidden bolts location...First I'm going to try to enlarge the hole a bit so i can try to get a look with my borescope and see if indeed the nut has come off....if it has i have to try to get the nut back on if possible to keep the strut assembly (spring mainly) from flying apart on disassembly.

:throw:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I would remove the whole assembly (4 bolts under the battery). Then you have access to the hardware that holds the shock in place... and I would think it would be much easier then to repair/tighten. I can't see how you would/could safely do the fix with the shock assembly still bolted in place. :-s

DocHemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your both mising the point.

The Large nut in the center of the strut has either came loose, all the way off, or broken.

Yes you can get to the 4 mount bolts.....

What i need is to see whats going on with the Center nut that is not visible.

If the center nut is off....everything will fly apart when I try to remove the strut assembly, as nothing is holding it all together, except the fact that its being held in by the clevis and body at the top...ie- the spring isnt any longer contained.

Ill attack some pics in a bit when I can

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I get what you're saying... I just don't see any way of safely correcting it without removing the assembly. You're right - the shock may indeed be under load, but I'm thinking that if you can put that corner on a jack stand, disconnect the clevis, the LBJ and then the 4 bolts to the shock assembly, you're going to release a lot of that load ahead of time. And, I can't wrap my head around how cutting into anything that is that important in vehicle weight-bearing would be a good thing.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pick up or rent a couple pair of coil compressors and put them on first to help relieve the pressure then slowly start removing things. IIRC that top nut is all that holds the front assembly together. I know the compressors isn't the best way to put them together but in your situation with it coming apart while on your rig, I would use them.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to do this,wasn't to bad but I did cut the outer CV boot removing the spring and clevis. Maybe if I would have poped both ball joints but I only poped the top ball joint. The owner had only tighten the shock tower bolt buy hand on install of a Daystar lift so the springs were baged though.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
regardless you are going to have to remove it
Lots of good suggestions above follow those and you'll be fine

DocHemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

as you can see the nut did come off the strut.

You must be registered for see images

Originally I was planning on cutting with a hole saw right behind the airbox stud, so that i could get a new nut on possibly.

But from what we saw with the borescope, the washer is gone....so it looks like I am going to have to do a complete disassembly, use a spring compressor or two if i can get them in there and replace the unit.

Going to go with a set of quick struts instead of just replacing the cartridges like I did last time.

Wish me luck...and that i keep all my fingers.

Thnx for all the input.:rockit:

DocHemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SHOCKS... They are SHOCKS, not struts!
Silly uneducated people.

Now remember...
They are what?

SHOCKS, not struts.

I beg to differ...

Front STRUT.....
https://www.advancecommercial.com/w...051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catEntryId=292017

Front Quick Strut....
https://www.advancecommercial.com/w...0051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catEntryId=87847

Here is another link for you that supports its a STRUT...
Jeep Liberty install kit / tool

and lastly....why is the upper part of the assembly called a STRUT MOUNT....if it were a shock ..WOULDN'T it be called a SHOCK MOUNT.

I guess even MOPAR and the rest of the world are in correct...hey did YOU realize that a STRUT is a TYPE of SHOCK....hmmmm

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Let's not do this again. :yawn: Agree to disagree and get on with the original topic already...

Oh, and for what it's worth... I wouldn't trust anything that Rocky Road puts out there. Just sayin'... ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks man...its a homebuilt system.

Got lots of comments on it, and it really ***** air.

My buddy thats a factory mechanic said it could never be done because of the breather hoses...i had to do it to prove hime wrong.

Don't think it was a compliment:popcorn:
all you are doing is sucking hot air all of the time

DocHemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's not do this again. :yawn: Agree to disagree and get on with the original topic already...

Oh, and for what it's worth... I wouldn't trust anything that Rocky Road puts out there. Just sayin'... ;)

Agreed

No i dont like anything rocky has, just used it to make a point...

Jeep/Chrysler even says in the manula its a strut...just saying

I'm dropping it here

DocHemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think it was a compliment:popcorn:
all you are doing is sucking hot air all of the time

Whether it was or wasn't doesnt matter to me.

And i agree.. it does suck hot air, but alot more volume.

And the dyno showed it picked up 7.2 hp just from putting it on so....

Im happy with it...untill i fab up a ram air system i have been working on.

Bought another hood to put scoops on, and have to tweak my design on the air box that will house the system and draw air from the scoops

Members online

No members online now.