Front End Wobble when decelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When im travelling at a higher speed (say 70km/hr and above) and then take my foot off of the accelerator, my Jeep will exhibit a wobble in the front end.

If you've ever been driving along and a strong gust of wind blows and you feel a push on your vehicle, it feels like that. Or when you drive by a massive truck and trailer and the car gets pushed around.

Its pretty scary at times to be honest. I had a wheel alignment done last weekend and the mechanic said he noticed excessive play in the steering wheel, meaning you can wiggle the wheel left and right for about half an inch either side without the wheels actually turning. Could it be that the steering column is damaged?

My last outback trip involved several hundred kilometres of heavily corrugated dirt roads. Im thinking this may be related..

Ive heard about this in the Wranglers but not in the Libertys.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like steering rack bushings or the rack itself. Check the bushings out, specifically the passenger one (driver's for us, it gets oil dumped on it). You can get some rubber washers to shim it up a bit.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-band-aid-shot-steering-rack-bushing-40247/

It's about 85% of the work to replace a bushing vs the whole rack, and the rack may have internal play.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My KJ would at 65mph jump to left when accelerating and right when de-accellerating.
Was the rear lower control arm bushings.
I pressed in new Spicer ones, but I still have the free re-call if they go again for new control arms from Chrysler.

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I took it for a spin yesterday and noticed it veers under acceleration too, when I hit the pedal around 60km/hr (35mphr I think..)

I also feel a vibration in the steering wheel when doing above 110km/hr (70m/hr).

I inspected the rear control arms and I couldn't see any obvious signs of damage, but really, im not sure what I should be looking for anyway. Same with the rear tri link. The ball joint doesn't appear damaged but apart from looking at it, I don't know an obvious way to test it.

Symptoms I have:
  • Play in steering wheel
  • Veering under acceleration and deceleration
  • Vibration in steering wheel at high speed
  • Jeep pulls to the left, even after an alignment

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You might have two issues.

Steering rack:
-Play in steering
-vibration in steering wheel
-Wandering
-Pulling
Rear LCAs:
-Wandering
-Pulling

Another idea/thing to check is the intermediate shaft....it could cause a vibration. So maybe that coupled with the LCAs? I don't know, a worn rack or rack bushings can cause a lot of your symptoms. Check the bushings out on it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Have front & rear wheels checked for damage & balance.
The rear lower control arms have to be removed for inspection.
You may find cracks in rubber bushings.
Really you can just fill in the bushings if no major cracks found & use windshield urethane to fill in the slots. I allowed 3 days of curing time before re-install.
Many would just opt to install new LCA's.
So in photo you can see at the bushings closest to the axle/rear diff, how they have the relief cut outs. Fill in those cut outs and see if that helps.
What you can get is a bit of movement of the rear axle, thanks to the cut out weakening rubber and allowing for movement.
60036[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Steering rack, look for rubber cracking too.
Have someone turn the wheel 1/4 turn back and forth, while you look/note rack movement.
60038[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• eLFhIb5.jpg
    eLFhIb5.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ANqPo0k.jpg
    ANqPo0k.jpg
    874.3 KB · Views: 0

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skimmed through this thread but have you considered a more obvious route? As in checking your rotors or a sticking brake pad?
Maybe you have one that is warped.. :shrug:

Damotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skimmed through this thread but have you considered a more obvious route? As in checking your rotors or a sticking brake pad?
Maybe you have one that is warped.. :shrug:

Hmm...good point. My brakes and rotors are due to be replaced and I have the new parts so ill give it a go.

Still, the excessive play in the steering wheel is what concerns me the most and hints at the steering rack.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt about that, but I definitely wouldn't rule out warped rotors or a sticky brake pad. Also could be something just as simple, like an out of balance wheel

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I had those symptoms and new pads and rotors took care of it. Since you already have the parts for that I would install them before going any further.