Front end pop/clunk, maybe steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've noticed a subtle pop/clunk lately. It happens after making a sharp, low speed turn like pulling in/out of the driveway or parallel parking. Usually sounds off after straightening the wheels back out. It doesn't always do it, bumps don't change it and it's always just a single knock, can kind of feel it in the floor.

The passenger outer tie rod end is about a year old, greaseable one from Napa. All the other stuff is well seasoned and original. :happy175: I'm kind of thinking a tie rod end or steering rack bushings? No other symptoms, even tire wear, tracks well, no wandering or vibrations, no slack in the steering.

Any ideas? I could try to make a vid if no one can really think of anything with out it. I can make the same moves 10 times and it'll sound off once or twice.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What would be wrong with it? Worn U joints there or just needs to be lubricated?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be but i dont recall seeing in the FSM that the Ujoints are greasable.
Sounds very much like what I am experiencing as well.
it only happens to me on occasion when I'm backing up at an angle or when I first move the steering wheel.
I don't feel the pop/clunk on the floor like you though.

Could be the pinch bolts on it?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe I don't feel it through the floor...it's just very distinctive. Sounds like the same I have.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Have someone swing the wheel back & forth in park, while someone is having a peak with a flashlight while underneath.
Look for movement or maybe the clunk if it happens, in ball joints, rack bushing, as well as sway bar links/ bushing.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a pop/clunk in mine for a couple of years and I've traced it to the sway bar where it attaches to the sway bar links.

The links have been replaced a couple of times and I've decided that the sway bar itself is bad - or at least the holes where the links attach are out of round or something. If that doesn't do it I don't know what I'll do next.

HJ, have you replaced the links before?

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have had a pop/clunk in mine for a couple of years and I've traced it to the sway bar where it attaches to the sway bar links.

The links have been replaced a couple of times and I've decided that the sway bar itself is bad - or at least the holes where the links attach are out of round or something. If that doesn't do it I don't know what I'll do next.

HJ, have you replaced the links before?

Bob

Yeah, it's on its 4th or 5th set of links, the ones on it now are about 6 months old.

Have you looked at the sway bar bushings?

They're pretty new too, but I've noticed the drivers side one eggs out after a few months.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It also did the pop thing today as I was walking away from it, had parked it in the driveway.

Seems better when it's cold.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Almost seems like it lol. Maybe it was just the parking brake or something. But it sounded kind of similar to what I've heard inside.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's better when it's cold too. This weekend it started popping and banging again since it cooled off to the mid-70's.

Damnit....

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Actually it does seem like some bumps trigger it. Not always though.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the through bolt on the intermediate shaft. It's a 13mm bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Good idea. Where is the bolt? By the diff or further out?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've paid closer attention to it, it seems like it happens after weight gets transferred to one side and then settles back out. That's when it happens.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've paid closer attention to it, it seems like it happens after weight gets transferred to one side and then settles back out. That's when it happens.

Exactly the same as mine, HJ.

I worked on it last night (AGAIN!) and what I found is the holes in the sway bar are slightly larger than the link bolts (rounded out or worn I'm not sure.) Seems if I can fit a bushing in the hole or over the bolt so it's a tight fit again and the issue will be fixed.

A larger bolt won't work because it will be too big for the bushing in the sway bar link.

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What about a shit ton of plumbing tape? Lol.

Mine didn't start until I got it back from the ****** shop...I'm guessing it spending days on a rack didn't help it. Seems like a common issue if you google sway bar end links popping. Comes up with a bunch of different vehicles.