Front end pop/clunk, maybe steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Exactly the same as mine, HJ.

I worked on it last night (AGAIN!) and what I found is the holes in the sway bar are slightly larger than the link bolts (rounded out or worn I'm not sure.) Seems if I can fit a bushing in the hole or over the bolt so it's a tight fit again and the issue will be fixed.

A larger bolt won't work because it will be too big for the bushing in the sway bar link.

Bob

I think you're definately on to something. I wrapped the bolts in electrical tape for now and it quieted it down. Although I doubt that will last long. What would be a better type of tape? I checked Ace for bushings or anything of that nature and couldn't find anything.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're definately on to something. I wrapped the bolts in electrical tape for now and it quieted it down. Although I doubt that will last long. What would be a better type of tape? I checked Ace for bushings or anything of that nature and couldn't find anything.

I'm not sure of the best solution. I thought about getting a small strip of aluminum can and wrapping it around the bolts or sliding in the bolt hole but not sure if it would wear quickly or not. If it's snug it would seem that it would wear OK since there wouldn't be any movement. But if the sway bar hole is oblong then the bolt might move around in there.

Keep me posted on how the tape trick works. If that lasts for a while then that means we're on to a fix - then it's just a matter of finding the right material for the bushings.

EDIT: I wonder if the local Fastenal would have bushings or material that might work? Anyone ever see bushings or bushing material at one of their locations?

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The can idea seems interesting...although aluminum is soft. But harder than electrical tape. I like the bushing idea, but that's going to be one thin bushing in order to use the factory bolts...which are M12 or 7/16".

I'm pretty sure that's the issue. Before today, I'd pretty much get the pop anytime I made a sharp turn. Today, driving the exact same, I've gotten it maybe once or twice. I'm not even positive I put enough electrical tape on- but at least it seems to change it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well it came back and I put on new endlinks and sway bar bushings, still there.

This really didn't start happening till after I got it back from the trans shop. Is there anything they could've done that caused this?