Front end noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldschool

Reaction score

I have a creaking noise coming from my front suspension. So the only times I have heard it are going over speed bumps (5MPH)or so. It tried pushing up and down on the front bumper to see if I could make the noise when it was parked and I do hear a squeaking sound! Could this just be I need to replace my front struts shocks or something else? Any help appreciated! Thanks..

Attachments

• 12755930_005.jpg
    12755930_005.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be many things. Crawl under while someone else bounces it up and down. I had a tie rod end bad and it made an incredible racket. Easy fix though.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Worn out suspension. As low as it looks in the picture springs and shocks are done for. Springs are stacking when going over bumps for sure, plus other parts are more than likely worn as well

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd place money that it's the sway bar bushings. Spray em down with Silicone spray. It doesn't fix the issue (in fact, isn't that good for them) but it will certainly help you target the issue because it quiets them up temporarily. In the long run they need to be replaced.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably just Cold sway bar bushings. Mines done that over speed bumps since I bought. No biggy.

Honestly, Since the cold weather hit I've been waiting for someone to a create thread about front end suspension noise over speed bumps. Happens every year

Oldschool

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the quick response!! I'm off work tomorrow so ill try and find the problem. Ill give an update later..

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WD-40 is our friend. Both for troubleshooting, and ignoring it for another cold Winter!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't "Monkey" around with WD-40 on front bushings!
50976[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Silicone Spray will quiet down a noisy bushing and wont eat them alive!
I also spray the rubber boots down every spring & fall, keeps em from cracking!
50978[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Also work great on rubber window seals. Makes them windows speedy, Up & down!

Attachments

• JeepMonkeyWrench.gif
    JeepMonkeyWrench.gif
    155.5 KB · Views: 0
  • siliconespray.jpg
    siliconespray.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0

Oldschool

Reaction score
Update!!! Winner!! HoosierJeeper/dude1116/ChiefRudy!! Yup the sway bar bushings are shot! I climbed under the jeep this morning and sprayed the bushing with dawn dish soap. Now the noise has completely gone away!! Eazy fix for sure! Thanks again guys!!!

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a specific brand of Sway Bar Bushings that are the go to? Or any to avoid, I get a massive squeak from mine, Sounds like I am running over a cat with asthma every time I go over a speed bump.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just got the Moog ones from Advance auto. They last about 3-4 years before getting worn, about what my factory ones lasted. Maybe Mopar ones would be better, I never looked into them.

ob wan

Reaction score
mine did it aswell and could never find the cause until i pulled off the steering rack boots and put grease on the rack shaft teeth, silent like me when my mother-in-law visits....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Update!!! Winner!! HoosierJeeper/dude1116/ChiefRudy!! Yup the sway bar bushings are shot! I climbed under the jeep this morning and sprayed the bushing with dawn dish soap. Now the noise has completely gone away!! Eazy fix for sure! Thanks again guys!!!

Part of the issue is still weak worn out suspension. With the weak springs/ worn out shocks it puts more wear and tear on all suspension parts. So while you may have fixed it for now, just wait.....
By the way mine with 210,000 miles are still good. Every 8-10 thousand miles I remove, clean out the dirt etc wash good with soap and reinstall ( no silicone sprays, no grease etc ) . Oh thats over 190,000 lifted miles as well

JCAWW02

Reaction score
Hey guys! New to the forum & would really appreciate help. I bought an '02 Renegade KJ a couple months ago with abt 127k miles. Over-all in good shape. Read all posts on this thread. Sprayed white lithium grease on bushings as best as possible but still hear noise. Also sprayed white lithium grease on bottom end of shocks/struts rubber bushings in front and rear. Mostly hear noise when slowly steering from side to side at low speeds. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

JCAWW02

Reaction score
Thanks for the input MarkJ. I haven't got that far yet. Yesterday I replaced the sway bar bushings & greased all rubber bushings on the front driver and passenger side. Also, greased the driver side lower ball joint. Took a lot of grease!!! Grease came out the top of the joint. Sound seemed to get a little better. Still have the loud creaking, almost grinding, sound. Called and this Liberty has had the upper & lower ball joint recall done. Guy said the recall would be under warranty for 10 years and obviously the local dealership would fix free of charge if ball joints were problem. My time is running out. Good possibility of snow coming this week so taking to my mechanic. I'll keep you guys updated on what he finds out.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do the sway bar bushings and it still happens, try replacing sway bar end links. I had the exact same problem, swapped out both bushings and end links, perfectly silent over bumps, even in the 20s.