Front driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07 liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has any one replaced just the CV joint on the transfer case end of drive shift? How hard was it? How is it holding up? Where is a good place to get the part? Was just going to replace the whole drive shift but plan on trading it in this spring so just need to get through another Wisconsin winter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
yes you can replace the head,
justdriveshafts have the part for 75-80 bucks
takes longer to remove the driveshaft than it does to replace the head, very easy to do, need snap ring pliers is all
lasts a long time

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty easy. The only issue I had was getting the old CV off the driveshaft. Typically, it should slide off after you remove the retaining clip inside the CV, but mine was really rusted on there. I ended up bringing it to a local shop...guy charged me $20, took off the old CV and actually was nice enough to put the new one on for me. Took it home, threw it back in, tightened bolts, good as new.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFH with it in a vise , very easy :happy175:

O, it was in a vice, with a crowbar, sledge, even rigged up a hydraulic jack against it to make a ghetto press of sorts. It was not coming off. Didn't wanna go too crazy on it because the last thing I wanted to do was wreck the driveshaft. Normally, I don't think it should be a prob to get off. In this case, $20 well spent.

07 liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How well do they hold out after being replaced?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should hold up at least as long as the original. Just keep an eye on the rubber boot; when it tears that's usually the first sign of failure.

07 liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I should have worded my post differently. Has any one had any experience good or bad with an aftermarket driveshaft cv joint when every jeep dealership says the shaft has a non replaceable cv joint.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy s3 using Tapatalk.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealership dudes are dead wrong.

Such a simple repair - the CV joint is held on with a simple retaining clip. It's not welded to the shaft or anything like that. :disgust:

To answer your question: The CV holds up just fine. I've got over 10,000 miles on it and no signs of failure.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Instructions come with it
never read them since its so easy if you can fall off of a log you can replace the head
As far as the dealerships go
Its way easier to throw a new one in than replace the head and guess what??!! They make more money as well
I had over 70,000 on mine when I recently replaced it

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never read them since its so easy if you can fall off of a log you can replace the head
Its way easier to throw a new one in than replace the head and guess what??!! They make more money as well

yeah seriously, they'll get around $700 out of you to replace the front driveshaft...and it probably takes them all of 15 minutes. $300 to do the same thing yourself...or $80 do just do the head. There's nothing wrong with the rest of the driveshaft, so the choice seems pretty obvious. And there is a write-up on here somewhere in the "how to" section...really simple.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Do these instructions include axle disassembly? (From the Jeep, that is)

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do these instructions include axle disassembly? (From the Jeep, that is)

There's no axle disassembly required. Unbolt the CV joints at each end, compress the front joint by pushing the shaft toward the front of the Jeep - and the shaft falls out of the Jeep. Take off old head, grease up new one and put it on. Installation the reverse of removal.

Look in the How-To section. Full write up with pics.

Bob

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine didn't come out so easily. Make sure to have a pry bar on hand. Other than that the replacement was simple.