Front driveshaft regiment issue after new cv joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't get the front driveshaft back in after replacing the cv joint at the transfer case. It won't slide into the transfer case mount. I get it all in and ready to go and it just won't slide back into the yolk like it should. It's like it needs to be pressed in or something or is just a fraction too big. I'm using part number me807 from driveshaft parts. It should be the right part. Any ideas how I can get it to go back in? Can't really get at it with a hammer.

Also, the cv joint cap keeps wanting to fall off. I need to hold it on to keep it attached to the joint. I was under the impression it would all fit together tight so it wouldn't keep falling apart.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the front CV of the front drive shaft should be able to compress a little if I remember correctly to allow you to slide it in to the TF case end. the rear CV does not allow for any movement.

the front cap should friction fit in place. i believe I had to use some pliers to press the sides in.

You sure to got it installed right?

Last edited:

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed right. I'm not sure how it could be wrong but done as directions say. So do the transfer case end first, and it should slide in easily right?

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front cap just slides on and off. No friction at all. I even tapped it on with a hammer. Still just slides on and off.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If the " cap" is installing right it should not come off
I've had to use pliers before to go all the way around it to clamp it down on good
It does fit tight and has to be started dead on straight, small amount of lube/ grease can be used but not needed most times

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does your front CV move inwards towards the shaft at all?

Also, is your snap ring that holds the bearing seated all the way in?

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leave the driveshaft completely out & see if that loose cap will fit back in the transfer case yoke . If it will , the cap , joint & all should fit in the yoke . If it won't , something is too big .
When I did my shaft , the only way I could get it out was to pry the transfer case joint forward until it was out of the yoke , then raise that end up above the yoke & pry the whole shaft rearward until the differential end came out of its yoke .
Re-installation was the reverse . As I said before , the cap you say falls off should fit back in the yoke . Can you compare the diameter of the new cap to the diameter of the original one you removed to see if they are the same ?

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front cv slide in and out as it should and snap ring is seated.

I tried a channel loch to press it together and it still doesn't stay put. I think it's to big.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Logan mentioned, How is the new cover compared to the old cover?

if the parts are different then I'd call driveshaftparts.com.
Their CS is pretty good and explain to them your situation.
They'll probably send you a whole new kit.

the ME807 you ordered is the correct kit.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll compare the old and new and see. I will also see if the cap will slide in without the joint. If not I'll call their c's and see what's up. Would it be bad to use the old cap if it's all cleaned up and fits right?

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I compared old and new and the old one fit inside the new one. I called driveshaft parts and they are incredible. He grabbed one and tried to see how tight it should go on. He popped it on and it was tight enough that he couldn't get it off. He is sending a new one priority mail so I should have it in a couple days. He's including a return label so I can send it back as this has never happened before. Very nice guy. He apologized up and down. I'm very impressed with driveshaft parts so far even with this glitch.

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good people , that's who I got my parts from .

If the old cap was still in good shape I probably would just have reused it . Don't blame you for wanting a new one though .

Last edited:

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the new part, assembled it and it all slid in like it should. Job done. The only thing I ran into putting it back together was with torquing the bolts to spec. It was pretty tough to use my torque wrench under there on the small bolts. I ended up just tightening them down but not too hard. It's an easy job if you're working with the right parts. Takes no time at all to do the cv joint itself. Glad I got it done. Thanks for the help everyone.

Members online

No members online now.