front driveshaft Loud while bng ingaged 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road_Runna

Reaction score
So I was finally able to take the lib out for a spin after finishing the coolant. I reinstalled everything front exhaust, alt, and front driveshaft, when I got home I noticed some smoke from the engine bay, found out it was small dripps of grease from the front of the Frontdriveshaft, where the companion flange and cv joint mate, I'm sure its not the boot.

When imin P for Parked and in 4WD, when I shift to Reverse or to d, or vice versa (that car is in PARK when I switch to drive or reverse). its a louder clunk than what I remember should be normal.

my question is: Does the front drive shaft have to be aligned in a special way to both transfer case and the front differential?
when I removed the DS I did not mark its relationship with the transfer/differential, so basically i might of spun a companion flange and not bolted the holes in there original designated holes.

When I pulled the Drive shaft out the first time I remember pushing it back a lot to get the ball part out on the front. did I push to hard? and accidentally make the length smaller? or is the grease just seaping out because I just din't tighten the 6 -8mm bolts flush all the way in?

heres a pic, I cleaned up the splattered mess the grease left behind.
I drove the liberty slowly back and fourth on the driveway, you can seen where there is a small amount of grease coming out.

You must be registered for see images
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: