Front driveshaft help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front driveshaft has been out of my 06 kj for about 3 months now. For just driving to work its fine right now just being 2wd but with deer season and winter approaching I really need to get a driveshaft so I can have my 4wd back. The rear CV joint had basically shrapnelled and I really don't want to just replace the joint, I'd rather just put in a whole new shaft being its hard to tell the condition of the front joint and the shaft itself shows some pretty thick rust in spots. I've looked online at a few drive shafts but noticed the part numbers don't always match so I'm unsure as to which one will actually fit my kj. Its an 06 65th edition with the 3.7L. Does anybody have a link to the proper shaft that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
To be sure your getting the right one ... measure your old shaft from weld to weld. :waytogo: They come in various lengths.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Er. Just pull off the front joint to see the condition of the shaft itself there. Then sand and paint the shaft. It's pretty thick steel and I've NEVER seen one rust out completely before.

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Painting it still leaves me with a shot CV joint. Is it hard to replace the joint itself

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ME807JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 1999-2004: Driveshaft Parts

The link above is what you need. I know it says Grand Cherokee, it's the correct one for the KJ as well. No need to replace the entire shaft unless you like spending money unnecessarily.

It's simple to replace. Hardest part of the entire process is getting the stupid top cap off of the old CV joint. Luckily you can just destroy the old joint so you can just rip it off with some pliers and a screwdriver wedged in there.

The entire process, if you have never done it before, shouldn't even take a full hour even with the trial and error. The grease smells really bad though.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Takes longer to get the driveshaft out than what it does to swap the ends, you're way over half way done already. Super easy to do for sure

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Much better than 250+ for a complete shaft. Now all I have to do is find a tutorial on replacing it and I should be good to go

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Been busy with work so I haven't had the time to replace the CV joint. Went to order the joint listed above and the company no longer offers it. Does anybody else know of another place to get a new rear CV joint for the front drive shaft? I haven't been able to find any place else that was even close on price

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just ordered two to have in stock a few days ago and didn't have any issues with ordering .

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first link doesn't work but the new link does. Thank you guys. On a side note me and my wife added a new addition to our jeep family today. A nice and shiny 2008 kk in black.

Latest posts

Members online